Room advice (type of speakers and placement) pictures of room included...Thanks!

S

sdmoel

Enthusiast
I am looking for the right speakers to fit my surround sound needs. I have a pretty big room that has a high sloping ceiling. This room is 26'X 16'. This room is connected to two other rooms (very open house). The adjoining dining room/kitchen nooks are 10'X 13' and 10'X 11.5' with a wall separating them from each other, both fully open to the gathering room side (where the home theater is going). These speakers need to be hung at least 10 feet high above numerous Windows etc... The ceiling goes up another 10 to 15 feet above where I need to hang these speakers (at least on one side, like I said, it slopes up on one side). Since this is such a big and open area, what speakers would you recommend for a 7.1 set up? I was thinking about axiom speakers. I am getting a Harman Kardon AVR635 to run these speakers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Like what type of speakers and how many of a certain type for a 7.1 experience for this room. Since the 60” TV will go on top of the fireplace (TV in cattycorner position) where would you recommend hanging the speakers? My speaker budget is around $1500 or so. Thank you for your time.

Front of room 1

Front of room 2

Back of room 1

Back of room 2

Last edited:
W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
I'm a bit confused by your diagram....both front speakers should be placed on both sides of your display. Your Left speaker should be to the left of the fireplace, and the right speaker should be to the right of the fireplace.

You might want to look at Energy's new Take series speakers....They come in various shapes to accomodate what you can handle. And they come in white too with adjustable brackets.

You can buy the two Sat models for the rears, and three LCR models for your fronts. Or you can buy two tower models and put them beside your fireplace on the floor. The center should be mounted above or below your actual display...it has to be centered where your eyes are looking.

http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/products/product-line.php?id=6

S

sdmoel

Enthusiast
warpdrive said:
I'm a bit confused by your diagram....both front speakers should be placed on both sides of your display. Your Left speaker should be to the left of the fireplace, and the right speaker should be to the right of the fireplace.
Yes, but I am worried that the sound will just travel to the open rooms on the left (left when looking at the front of the room). I will have to try both, with the ideal placement like you said. It seems like both will be a lose lose situation? Thanks for your response.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
The sound will travel everywhere regardless, nothing you can do about that. but you DO want correct spatial cues otherwise it's not going to be proper surround experience. If a car is going left to right on the screen....you don't want the car to sound like it's still on the left.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
You say your budget is $1500. That's a mighty large room to fill - especially knowing you'll need a solid subwoofer for that space. If that floor is concrete, you'll have trouble with bass with a cheaper sub. I helped a friend in Dallas, TX install a system in a 3500 sq ft house with a room similar to yours - but had 20' ceilings straight up. He has a Denon 2803 driving a 7.1 Paradigm setup with a 12" Paradigm sub. I think he spent $2300+ on his speakers. His two fronts are towers with dual 8" woofers. It fills the room nicely, but everything is at ear level - all surrounds are on stands. If you go hanging speakers off the ceiling or walls, you'll have to aim them at your listening position very carefully. Good choice on the receiver - HK's are softer - something you'll need in a big "echo" room like that. Look for a speaker setup with a high efficienty rating, say over 94db. Axiom's rate their speakers in two db ratings - I'm not sure of the difference. Were you thinking of the Grandmaster 500 setup? They make some of the nicest looking set ups. The sub in that setup is 70lbs - pretty massive. It should be fine.

S

sdmoel

Enthusiast
Yes, the floor is concrete. It will be covered with heavy padding and carpet. Ya, I am getting the feeling if I want 7.1, my budget will have to be increased. Yes, I was thinking about the Grandmaster 500 setup. I was a little worried about their sub.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis