Rocket ULW-10 experiences - easy to use?

R

rmorit01

Enthusiast
First post -

I haven't even owned a stereo in 15 years, but this year we bought the 50" high-definition TV. To go with that I've been selecting components (on the cheap) mostly close-outs on last years stuff (e.g., AVR is a HK-335 and front speakers are the Mirage Omnisat).

As a newbie, I've been trying to educate myself and I wanted to get a good sub before I purchase the rest of the speakers to make it a 5.1 system.

I'm leaning toward the Rocket ULW-10 partly based on the audioholics review and my ability to decipher the manual.

Room is about 2500 cubic feet because there is open space on either side (10 feet on one side and 12 on the other) of the seating area which is 12 feet wide and 18 deep feet with 7 foot high ceilings.

It seems that with the "SOS system" (SOS or Subwoofer Optimization System - an automatic 1-band parametric EQ) that it would be easier for a newbie to setup.

Any suggestions for what the ULW-10 is comparable too? For example, the only sub I've been able to listen to is a Velodyne DPS-10 at CC.

G

ggunnell

Audioholic
I tried a pair of ULW-10's in a 2600 cubic foot room with openings and they were just too small.

The SOS system is easy to use and does actually improve the sound. For a small room (like a dorm room ar a bedroom system) consider them.

The SVS PB10 is the least powerful sub you should be looking at IMO

Look at svsound.com -- they give you a 45 day trial period.

Welcome to the board!

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Onix Subs

AV123.com is comming out with a 15" ported X-series sub that would do a good job of filling your large room. If you purchase an X-series speakers, you will get a $100 off coupon. Consider upgrading the front and center channels to the X-LS and X-CS and moving the Omnis to the surround channels.

If you don't mind a big box, SVS and HSU makes great subs.

R

rmorit01

Enthusiast
jcPanny said:
AV123.com is comming out with a 15" ported X-series sub that would do a good job of filling your large room. If you purchase an X-series speakers, you will get a $100 off coupon. Consider upgrading the front and center channels to the X-LS and X-CS and moving the Omnis to the surround channels.

If you don't mind a big box, SVS and HSU makes great subs.
Is this the design from the av123 forum?

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?threadid=13824

Seems like the size will be very large, but very detailed information from a manufacturer which is good (but way over my knowledge at this point) --

I'm thinking SVS and HSU but size and weight does matter here --

Perhaps either a Mirage S12 or Velodyne DPS-12 as an alternative to the Rocket?

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
Its very easy to set up, the sos made big improvements on mine.
I'm am using it in about the same size room ( 17x14x8 with a 12x12x8 nook attached with a 10' opening between) and it is fine for me. The link from the audioholics review is still active for $399 price. 30 day money back trial so you can't go wrong there.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Onix Subs

Yeah, the BMF will be killer, but it costs $2k so it is not for everyone.

This is the MFW-15 sub I was referring to:
http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15788
If you get the $100 off coupon from the purchase of X-series speakers, then the sub will cost $500.

If your price limit is $400 and you don't want to wait, check out the SVS PB-10.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
As an owner of an UFW-10 (which I love), a ULW-10 would really great for music but if you want good LFE response you might consider a SVS PB10 as jcPanny mentions and down the road a bit, buy a second. If LFEs are not that important to you the ULW-10 is great sub for music and played near field will be decent LFEs.

Nick

R

rmorit01

Enthusiast
jcPanny said:
Yeah, the BMF will be killer, but it costs $2k so it is not for everyone.

This is the MFW-15 sub I was referring to:
http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15788
If you get the $100 off coupon from the purchase of X-series speakers, then the sub will cost $500.

If your price limit is $400 and you don't want to wait, check out the SVS PB-10.
Thanks for the informaton and recommendations on this one -- when do you think they will be ready with the 15" sub?

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Use the link jcPanny provided, that's where the most current info will be.

Nick

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis