U

Unregistered

I have heard much about the Rocket UFW-10 but not nearly as much about the little brother the ELT SW-10. It truly looks fantastic but how good can it sound for $299?? I mean really how good?

I would like to buy the UFW-10 but am afraid it is a bit out of my budget if the SW-10 has the same type of characteristics as the UFW-10 I would be sold. Has anyone heard the ELT SW-10 first hand??

My plan is to order it and if no likey I will return for the UFW-10 which I am sure to like. I just don't like spending the $45 on wasted shipping.

Anyone with knowledge on this sub please help--

U

Unregistered

I have heard the SW-10 before, it looks nice, and seems to sound OK at not more than moderate levels.....it then sounds boomy. I have heard a friend's Hsu STF-1, eventhough it does not looks as nice, it easily outperformed the SW-10, and it was in a larger room. Would be nice to hear them side by side.

U

Unregistered

That is surprising seeing as the Rocket UFW-10 is supposedly super tight.

U

Unregistered

I haven't heard the SW-10 but do have dual UFW-10's. It seems like the SW-10 isn't really meant to be a "power house" subwoofer, as it's mainly meant to acompany the ELT system. I've heard of it being boomy as well at times and also have heard people talking about port chuffing. So AV123 now ships a port plug with all the SW-10's, I think. Which seems to have gotten rid of the chuffing and tightens up the bass, at least from what people say. For $299 you can't expect the world out of sub like that.

You may want to consider the ULW-10 (little sister to the UFW-10). It has the same 10" driver from the UFW-10 I think, and has a little smaller cabinet and has a 350 watt amp. The problem though is that there is no release date for it yet, so it come out next week or not for another 10 months.

You may want to ask the same question on the AV123 forum and get some reply's from people who actually have the SW-10 sub.

U

Unregistered

This is disapointing, I hate boomy subs as much as I hate port noise. Thought this little guy would be a winner but am loosing faith very quickly. I would have to say at this point it is off the list. I am now considering the PSB 5i as my frontrunner at $459 delivered. I wish I could afford the UFW-10 at $635 delivered but it is probably to much sub at to much of a price for me.

U

Unregistered

Yeah...but if you go to the AV123 forum, it is biased.

For the amount of money you a looking to spend, the Hsu STF-2 would be a great choice....and the yet to be released SVS PB10 should do well too.

U

Unregistered

Unregistered said:
Yeah...but if you go to the AV123 forum, it is biased.

For the amount of money you a looking to spend, the Hsu STF-2 would be a great choice....and the yet to be released SVS PB10 should do well too.
How is it biased? The people there were complaining about chuffing and boominess. So he can then ask if the port plug fixed it or not.

Almost everyone is biased...Axiom owners will back Axiom, Paradigm owners back Paradigm, B&W owners back B&W, etc. Note I said almost everyone but not everyone.

I do agree though, the HSU is a good buy too, but at least check out av123 to see what people say, I know lot's of people there own HSU and SVS.

U

Unregistered

It is biased because it is a company owned forum. Just like the Axiom forum.

Everyone tends to be happy with what they own, and those forums are havens. Not a bad place, some very good info, just biased toward the respective products.

Like I posted before, I have heard the SW-1, OK sub, but not exactly great at $299....especially if you hear the Hsu STF-1. If aesthetics is an issue, then the wood veneer on the SW-1 does come into play...but strictly sonics, there is no comparison.

Now that he is looking at higher priced stuff, that opens up another level for him.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

You do have to take stuff there with a grain of salt. I'm not saying they're at all dishonest, but as the previous poster said, the forum is owned by the company. This isn't unusual, many manufacturers provide them (eg Hsu has a very nice forum). They can be a great resource, as you can get advice from others who actually own the peice in question and often right from the designers themselves. The potential downside? Many of the posters there are "over enthusiastic" supporters of a particular brand. And extremely negative comments understandably get deleted sometimes- why would a company provide a free forum for attacking his product?

U

Unregistered

You might want to check out the Hsu VTF-2 Mk1. It is my understanding, that they have some and they are clearing them out at 299.00.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the info, but that was over a month ago I wonder if they still have the deal.

Thanks again....

U

Unregistered

Rob Babcock said:
You do have to take stuff there with a grain of salt. I'm not saying they're at all dishonest, but as the previous poster said, the forum is owned by the company. This isn't unusual, many manufacturers provide them (eg Hsu has a very nice forum). They can be a great resource, as you can get advice from others who actually own the peice in question and often right from the designers themselves. The potential downside? Many of the posters there are "over enthusiastic" supporters of a particular brand. And extremely negative comments understandably get deleted sometimes- why would a company provide a free forum for attacking his product?
Hi all. I was just browsing this forum and saw this post. Hope you don't mind me posting here.

On the forum, not sure if the comment was directed at the AV123 forum but I just want to be clear that we do not delete a post because someone does not like a product; we try and be as light handed with the censor as possible. I am the admin and the only threads I lock are when it's a political discussion in the enthusiast enclave that gets too heated or if someone is personally attacking another member. I think I have deleted maybe 6 threads since the forum came to life. Oh, and yes there are some over-enthusiastic members there; but there are some really down to earth people too...there is some great advise to be had there and not just regarding our stuff ;)

I agree that the SW-10 is not a top shelf sub. Good for it's price, sure but there are also other great subs out there in it's range so it's up to you. As a matter of FYI the SW-10 has recently been upgraded to coincide with the new finishes available for the ELT line. Bigger amp, no chuffing etc. Not trying to sell anything...pick up the Hsu or an SVS and you will be happy :)

Hope you all don't mind me posting here.

Regards,

Sean
AV123.com

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis