Riser for SVS PC-2000

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
In the name of utilizing the Geddes' Approach to calibrate 3 subs, I'm going to build a riser to accommodate this sub. I chose this route as I feel something prefabricated, with equal heft and stability, would cost many times more. You could probably just do something with 2"x4" lumber and 5/8" ply, but I thought it'd be fun and that it might interest some folks.

While this design is intended for a cylindrical sub, it could easily be modified to accommodate a rectangular cab. Pics, detailed parts list and pricing to follow.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
IMG_20190916_100219.jpg

The sub will go in the corner.

IMG_20190916_100610.jpg

The hardware and tools I'll use- drill not shown:p

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
IMG_20190916_102454.jpg

As you can see, the flat washers bring the bucket of of round, which I'm totally cool with. My greatest goal here was to achieve a compass orientation of the brackets for the most even load distribution possible.

IMG_20190916_102457.jpg

Notice here that the lock washer is between the bolt and flat washer (my hardware shot showed it reversed- not enough caffeine). In order to keep these brackets from coming loose, that lock washer needs to be completely depressed/flattened out so the faster won't start backing out due to vibrations.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
IMG_20190916_104941.jpg

Before getting into the wood, I marked out my drilling locations as uniform as possible. I'm pretty solid at eyeballing this stuff, but I measured to locations 90° apart to make sure the distance from the edge of the bracket to the edge of the round was the same (it was, haha! :cool:)
IMG_20190916_104154.jpg

The flat washers are 1 3/8", so I used a same sized forshner bit. I drilled down about 1/8" past the "top" of the bit to make sure I'd have enough room to countersink the bolt head. I believe it's important to drill the countersink first as the point will then give you a guide to drop the hole bit into and make sure everything lines up well (in carpentry some call that "dead nuts tits", hahahaha:D).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The flat washers are 1 3/8", so I used a same sized forshner bit. I drilled down about 1/8" past the "top" of the bit to make sure I'd have enough room to countersink the bolt head. I believe it's important to drill the countersink first as the point will then give you a guide to drop the hole bit into and make sure everything lines up well (in carpentry some call that "dead nuts tits", hahahaha:D).
Are you just using the pebbles or will you use concrete in the buckets.
I don't know if you have REW and Umik, but I would probably experiment stacking cinder blocks to various heights and taking measurements before committing to a specific height. (but I don't know Geddes' approach)!

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
IMG_20190916_140049.jpg

The top, fastened on.

IMG_20190916_144812.jpg

Placed, with the closest fabric I could find covering it.

@KEW I just wanted to get it off the ground, as a starting point. I ran a measurement at the MLP with everything set flat, and it was UGLY, HAHA!!! But hell, learning is half the fun, right???

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not sure you want it so tightly tucked in the corner. It is a capable sub and once you add in room effects, it is liable to be way too loud at the lower frequencies resulting in a very boomy sound. Unless you have a good EQ system to counteract the corner placement, you might try pulling it out in the room.
Even if there is no way you would actually locate it there, you should pull it out into the room for a measurement just to see what difference it makes!

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Materials list

(1) 17.75"x1" pine round- $6.82
(1) Homer's Handy Bucket- $3.49
(1) 0 .5 cu ft Pond Pebbles- $5.58
(4) 2"x4" Angle Framing Anchor- $14.16
(8) 1/2"x1 1/2" Hex Bolt- $$4.24
(8) 1/2" Hex Nut- $1.68
(8) 1/2" Lock Washer- $1.84
(16) 1/2" Cut Washer- $3.52

Total with Tax: $44.54

Fabric was ~$13.75

Tools used:

Cordless 1/2 Hammer Drill
1 3/8" Forshner Bit
5/8" Hole Bit
3/4" Ratcheting Closed In Wrench
Channel Locks

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I'm not sure you want it so tightly tucked in the corner. It is a capable sub and once you add in room effects, it is liable to be way too loud at the lower frequencies resulting in a very boomy sound. Unless you have a good EQ system to counteract the corner placement, you might try pulling it out in the room.
Even if there is no way you would actually locate it there, you should pull it out into the room for a measurement just to see what difference it makes!
Having returned to the bachelor life, I can do whatever the heck I want, AND I'm in a better, albeit imperfect, room.:p:cool:

Geddes' mentions a corner placement. I have the miniDSP 2x4HD along with the U-mik 1. I've been using REW and just ordered the Dirac Live Upgrade. Figure I can monkey around with all that stuff, run some XT32 afterwards and see where I get.

That PC-2000 is going to move into another room, my VTF-3 MK4 is going to most likely find a new home, and 3 more 18" sealed Ultimaxes and 1 more Crown XLS2502 are coming in. I'm just going to do one Ultimax at a time. Once I order my 3rd, I'll grab the other Crown.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Having returned to the bachelor life, I can do whatever the heck I want, AND I'm in a better, albeit imperfect, room.:p:cool:

Geddes' mentions a corner placement. I have the miniDSP 2x4HD along with the U-mik 1. I've been using REW and just ordered the Dirac Live Upgrade. Figure I can monkey around with all that stuff, run some XT32 afterwards and see where I get.

That PC-2000 is going to move into another room, my VTF-3 MK4 is going to most likely find a new home, and 3 more 18" sealed Ultimaxes and 1 more Crown XLS2502 are coming in. I'm just going to do one Ultimax at a time. Once I order my 3rd, I'll grab the other Crown.
You're getting into some deep sh!t!:p:D
Sweet!

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
You're getting into some deep sh!t!:p:D
Sweet!
I'm getting beaten like a rented mule at work, and they're paying me well for it. I think once I've got the quads, I'll be set until the 8k TV's come out, then I'll look at that vs projection.

All this stuff has been a passion for the better part of 25 years, and it wasn't until a couple years ago that I finally got into a financial position to make it happen, so I guess I'm making up for lost time, haha!:D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm getting beaten like a rented mule at work, and they're paying me well for it. I think once I've got the quads, I'll be set until the 8k TV's come out, then I'll look at that vs projection.

All this stuff has been a passion for the better part of 25 years, and it wasn't until a couple years ago that I finally got into a financial position to make it happen, so I guess I'm making up for lost time, haha!:D
Been there, done that!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey, maybe you could’ve just inverted it. Would’ve got the driver even higher off the ground too! Lol

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis