Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>I originally posted this on a thread in the Parts Express speaker building BBS. Since a front page thread on his passing hasn't been started it might be of interest here.

----------

Subj: Thanks to him and the old Stereo Review....

Mssg:......I was able, after a long time away from the scene, to see the present-day &quot;high end&quot; audio scene for the B.S. dominated cesspit it has sadly become. When I awoke from my long &quot;audio slumber&quot; (since the mid-70's!) and started reading nonsense about magic cables, etc., it was the levelheaded, objective technical information I remembered (if dimly sometimes) from Stereo Review that helped me see through it; admittedly, after a period of some confusion!

As a completly non-technical liberal arts type, I shudder to think how ripe for the slaugher at the hands of the high-end audio charlatans I would have been otherwise.

Oh, and as for the oft-repeated slander that Dr. Hirsch &quot;never met a component he didn't like&quot;, it was simply Stereo Review's policy back then not to waste ink on outright turkeys. And as pointed out by another in [the original] thread, most really bad designs didn't make it off the bench. At least, it seems, not until much of the audio world took leave of its senses.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Julian Hirsch debunked the cable and other so-called audio exotica scam/myths long time beforre anyone else in the industry had the guts to do so. He had the courage to tell it like it is and at least there was a dint of honesty in his reviews and much less bias. I can recall that no single manufacturer got any prefferential treatment from him.

May he rest in peace.</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Ihave not been subscribing to Stereo Review and other speialty magazines for a long time. &nbsp;I remember Julian Hirsch and did enjoy many of this articles. &nbsp;Good thing his articles will live a lot longer. &nbsp;

May I know who are the other famous and and respected experts/authors in the same vein as Julian. &nbsp;Are there? &nbsp;Thanks.</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
av_phile : <font color='#000000'>May I know who are the other famous and and respected experts/authors in the same vein as Julian.  Are there?  Thanks.</font>
<font color='#000000'>Tom Nousaine (formerly of Stereo Review), Don Keele (formerly of Audio), Ivan Berger, and Peter Aczel are a few that come to mind. They are found these days in The Audio Critic magazine, which I've praised elswhere on this forum and on my &quot;Audio Wisdom&quot; page

Happy Holidays!</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis