Rick Beato - The Regression of Musical Innovation

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
We often hear older people say that today's popular music sucks. Younger people will shrug it off as differing tastes for different generations. At Audioholics, though, we're into proof of concepts, so below is Rick Beato's live stream from May 28/21 explaining why today's popular music is so boring to many of us.

This also explains my love for progressive rock. I love the complexity, the changes in keys and in timing. The same can be said for classical music. When you've been raised on complex music and then listen to the top 20 on Spotify or other streaming services, those songs all sound the same after a while because they are based on similar chord progressions in the same boring key.

Not to suggest that there is no good music being written. There are still some great bands in every genre if you take the time to do some digging. This video applies more to "popular" music that you find at the top of the charts and that is marketed most heavily by music labels. It's music by committee instead of music by inspiration and innovation.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The top 20 stuff has been like that for so long it's difficult to remember when it wasn't.

Prog rock is one of my favs as well. Been trying to get some of my favorite albums remastered in 5.1. Especially the Steven Wilson remixes.

I'm excited with streaming services offering Atmos music too.

While mainstream music may be what it's always been, music is still one of the more popular things out there and probably always will be.

Just need to show the younger crowd that actually listens to music instead of it being background what it means to have a proper system to really hear what their music is supposed to sound like.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've watched quite a few of Rick's videos. You can tell he really knows and loves music.
This also explains my love for progressive rock. I love the complexity, the changes in keys and in timing.
Yup. Same here, tho I'm a bit more progressive metal, but same reasons. I love complex time signatures and polyrythms too.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The top 20 stuff has been like that for so long it's difficult to remember when it wasn't.

Prog rock is one of my favs as well. Been trying to get some of my favorite albums remastered in 5.1. Especially the Steven Wilson remixes.

I'm excited with streaming services offering Atmos music too.

While mainstream music may be what it's always been, music is still one of the more popular things out there and probably always will be.

Just need to show the younger crowd that actually listens to music instead of it being background what it means to have a proper system to really hear what their music is supposed to sound like.
I managed to pass that along to my daughter and consequently have learned of some great alt-rock bands from her along with some interesting avant guard music. She mostly listens to her iphone but I did get her some nice Sennheisers. Whenever she needs new headphones she knows to put them on her Christmas list from dad. ;)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I've watched quite a few of Rick's videos. You can tell he really knows and loves music.

Yup. Same here, tho I'm a bit more progressive metal, but same reasons. I love complex time signatures and polyrythms too.
FINALLY got a copy of Lateralus. That's been long overdue. Also got a CD of Cosmic Hippo that had to come from Switzerland. Physical media is getting harder to find but sometimes I like to have the physical CD instead of just the files. It sounds sooooo much better than the Youtube stream. Lovely recording.

I think one of the reasons I'm hooked on Band-Maid right now is the progressive nature of their music. Not as complex as prog bands from the 80s or 90s but more than your typical rock song on the radio. The bass player is a big fan of Paz Lenchantin, currently with the Pixies, and I notice that loud / soft / loud variation that they popularized. I initially thought that came out of the grunge scene, but turns out that Kurt Cobain was inspired by some of the Pixies' songs.

And just for fun, here's one of those indie bands my daughter introduced me too as mentioned above. We saw Said The Whale in a local club years ago along with Alvvays, Kopecky Family and a few others. Love the indie scene in Canada. Great vid and a fun song.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
FINALLY got a copy of Lateralus. That's been long overdue. Also got a CD of Cosmic Hippo that had to come from Switzerland. Physical media is getting harder to find but sometimes I like to have the physical CD instead of just the files. It sounds sooooo much better than the Youtube stream. Lovely recording.

I think one of the reasons I'm hooked on Band-Maid right now is the progressive nature of their music. Not as complex as prog bands from the 80s or 90s but more than your typical rock song on the radio. The bass player is a big fan of Paz Lenchantin, currently with the Pixies, and I notice that loud / soft / loud variation that they popularized. I initially thought that came out of the grunge scene, but turns out that Kurt Cobain was inspired by some of the Pixies' songs.

And just for fun, here's one of those indie bands my daughter introduced me too as mentioned above. We saw Said The Whale in a local club years ago along with Alvvays, Kopecky Family and a few others. Love the indie scene in Canada. Great vid and a fun song.
Paz played with APC for a while too. I always thought she was hot in the video for "Judith". I forgot all about checking out Band Maid. Might do a search after I finish this post.

Kinda stoked you got Lateralus! The title track is a trip. The time signature, polyrythms and number of syllables in the lyrics are all based around the Fibonacci Sequence, which is a series of numbers that mathematically work out to a spiral.

I always go on about their drummer Danny Carey, but their bassist Justin Chancellor is also very talented. The whole band is, but I always thought Justin and Danny stood out. They play off each other so well, and you can actually hear Justin's bass in their music.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I knew some of Tool's material but now I'll get to have good close listen. Got the house to myself next week so I can play loud metal again. :) I think Rick Beato covered Schism on What Makes This Song Great. They have a great rhythm section and dynamics as well. Looking forward to it.

Band-maid has a ton of videos, live and studio. My two favorite right now are the official live versions of Onset (instrumental) and Domination. Some fan cell phone footage too that shows they're pretty good on the club scene as well.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Band-maid has a ton of videos, live and studio. My two favorite right now are the official live versions of Onset (instrumental) and Domination. Some fan cell phone footage too that shows they're pretty good on the club scene as well.
Okay, those little girls are pretty impressive. I watched Domination live last night and almost immediately liked it. I didn't even miss English... well 'cept for the "hello, hello, hello" part, lol.

At first I suspected lip syncing and playing until they got pretty deep into the song and focused on the drummer and guitarist for a few. Yup. That's legit. They're killing it live. The drummer can really play and their guitarist can legit shred. They musta had those girls training from birth...

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Okay, those little girls are pretty impressive. I watched Domination live last night and almost immediately liked it. I didn't even miss English... well 'cept for the "hello, hello, hello" part, lol.

At first I suspected lip syncing and playing until they got pretty deep into the song and focused on the drummer and guitarist for a few. Yup. That's legit. They're killing it live. The drummer can really play and their guitarist can legit shred. They musta had those girls training from birth...
Cool, I'm glad you enjoyed it. The rhythm player is the only one who did not study music. She learned guitar when she formed the band. :) The lead guitarist writes all of the songs. There's cell phone footage of them playing at The Chapel in San Francisco recorded stage right. I really dig their bass player. She plays in her stockings :D and is rather shy but has a great sound and great technique. Think I'm going to order one of the concert blue-rays.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I try and research both sides on most topics and this is a really great presentation from 12tone as a counter point to some of Rick Beato's comments regarding modern pop music. Very entertaining too with his doodles :) but this is well thought out and he has an interesting perspective.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis