Richard (ahem) Dale RIP

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ah, hell. Another old rocker... fades away...

Time to change up my music selection... Surf rock, here I come.

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Ah, hell. Another old rocker... fades away...

Time to change up my music selection... Surf rock, here I come.
If the missus wasn't asleep, I'd blast "Scalped" loud enough to wake the 'hood!

That song is my go-to when the waves were big and my knees are knocking. Inspires me to go for it!

Last edited:
GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
you should.
btw, love the title edit!
Yeah... the auto edit totally disrespected "Richard". They'll be a hundred lashes in rock heaven for whoever wrote that nanny script.

They better sort that $hit out before Little Richard passes!

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
One of the greatest guitarists of all time, and one of the pioneers of electric guitar!

I have seen him perform live, 3 times! One of my favorite live performances.

One of the key pieces of my music/memorabilia collection is a D ick Dale show poster print! 5/85 limited edition. I was at that show, but did not get the print there. Several years later the print showed up in a small shop downtown. I wanted it, but I didn't want to pay the $50 for it. At some point the wife and I split up to go to different shops down the same street, and she went back and bought it for me! It has now been framed and hangs at the entry to my (future) home theater.

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
He was certainly a pioneer of the "speed guitar", which was an influence in rock a generation later.

He also seemed to have a deep appreciation of music... who else could have adapted a Greek rebetico to rock while preserving the fundamental characteristics of both genres?

It's sad to see musicians with such talent pass...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
He was certainly a pioneer of the "speed guitar", which was an influence in rock a generation later.

He also seemed to have a deep appreciation of music... who else could have adapted a Greek rebetico to rock while preserving the fundamental characteristics of both genres?

It's sad to see musicians with such talent pass...
I'll try to get a pic posted later of my print. He was definitely there and working with Fender at the birth of the electric guitar, he kept blowing their amps! Right there with the likes of Les Paul

Dale worked closely with Fender Musical Instruments Corporation to produce custom made amplifiers[1] including the first-ever 100-watt guitar amplifier.[4] He pushed the limits of electric amplification technology, helping to develop new equipment that was capable of producing a louder guitar sound without sacrificing reliability.
[1]

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
I'll try to get a pic posted later of my print. He was definitely there and working with Fender at the birth of the electric guitar, he kept blowing their amps! Right there with the likes of Les Paul

Dale worked closely with Fender Musical Instruments Corporation to produce custom made amplifiers[1] including the first-ever 100-watt guitar amplifier.[4] He pushed the limits of electric amplification technology, helping to develop new equipment that was capable of producing a louder guitar sound without sacrificing reliability.[1]
I'd love to see it. The guy was a master.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'd love to see it. The guy was a master.
He would pull a few "tricks" at his shows.

Like, getting the drummer to hold the guitar while D ick played it with the drum sticks.

And, he played a mean trumpet with the paw mute technique. Surf trumpet!

First time I saw him was at Lucy's Retired Surfer's bar in Austin, TX. About the best venue for him to play. That place has been closed for a long time now too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis