R

RedJacket

Audioholic Intern
For Ribbons, the greatest efficiency is obtained with a diaphragm material having the smallest product of resistivity and density

If I have a ribbon material with a lower density than aluminum, but a one order of magnitude higher resistivity (but an ampacity that allows it to carry 4x current as copper for equivalent mass), would it make sense to use this material as a ribbon?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
For Ribbons, the greatest efficiency is obtained with a diaphragm material having the smallest product of resistivity and density

If I have a ribbon material with a lower density than aluminum, but a one order of magnitude higher resistivity (but an ampacity that allows it to carry 4x current as copper for equivalent mass), would it make sense to use this material as a ribbon?
It would depend on other properties as well. Does it bend without fracture? What is its Young's modulus. Does it fatigue. Aluminum fatigues and this is a major problem.

I don't know why you are so obsessed with this. Moving coil speakers can now be designed and put into total designs that are just as accurate and transparent as electrostatics or ribbons, in fact better in my view.

In fact when people hear my speakers and don't know what is in them, they have been known to ask it there are electrostatic drivers.

Ribbon drivers for all but the highest frequencies have proved themselves to be nothing but trouble and always will. It is a dead end.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'd disagree that ribbons are a dead end. I use ribbons for my tweeters and they do an excellent job. RAAL makes one of the best tweeters in the world which happens to be a ribbon.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'd disagree that ribbons are a dead end. I use ribbons for my tweeters and they do an excellent job. RAAL makes one of the best tweeters in the world which happens to be a ribbon.
I excluded high frequency ribbons. I know the OP is hankering after wider bandwidth ones.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis