Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
This may be a dumb question but can someone explain to me what RGB cables are? are they similar to component and what peices of equipment have them as inputs and outputs?

is there a cable that is a RGB to PC (16pin) cable?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
RGB is more accurately called (most of the time) RGBHV

It consists of 5 75ohm cables.

In comparison, component, as you know, uses 3 75ohm cables.

What is the difference between component and RGB? Mostly it is that RGB can carry higher resolution than component. So, if you want high bandwidth video, component may not be able to handle it as clean as RGB can. Of course, this has become less and less of a reality as technology has changed.

What uses RGBHV? Pretty much every computer monitor in the world has a RGBHV connection. Only, the connection has been converted into a 15-pin SVGA connection instead of a 5 wire connection.

Yes they sell 15 pin SVGA -> RGBHV adapters. There actually looks like there is a good page of info that you will like over at the Blue Jeans Cable site. Not only does Blue Jeans sell these cables but almost every cable manufacturer does.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/rgbhv/index.htm

When would you use a DB15 (15 pin SVGA) to RGB connector? Well, when you want to hook a PC up to a video distribution system. When you have a HD-DSS box like the new Samsung that includes HDTV on DB15 output. When you have a scaler or processor with DB15 output. When you have run a SVGA cable from your PC to your plasma/projector, but the display only has RGBHV inputs and not a 15-pin connector on it.

Since I started working for a commercial A/V company, almost all of my work is based around a RGBHV world instead of a component world as it was with residential.

Is either actually better with HDTV? Not that I have ever heard of, but I haven't looked to hard for head to head tests with both component and RGB.

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
Thank you for the answer and I will tell you why I asked the question. As you probably remember my Plasma only accepts 720p via its PC input only. I am buying the iscan HD+ hoping the following will be able to happen.

DVD player outputs 720p via Component---->iscan HD+/iscan HD+ outputs signal via RGB. Buy RGB to SVGA cable----> PC input on Plasma = 720p output resolution.

will that work? Or is it most likely the iscan can not input via Component and output via RGB?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis