Reviving DefTech BP-7004 towers

H

holmessph

Audiophyte
I was given a pair of BP-7004 towers for free. After using them for a bit without the subwoofers (because the amps were 10yo and had a bad buzz/hum), I decided to power the subs.

I was able to find a passive cooled dual channel amp and I put a second set of binding posts on the back reusing the hole left by removing the subwoofer volume control knob.

This works, I can power them but after hearing all the rave reviews I feel like by bypassing the powered cross over there must be more happening than simply providing power to the 10” sub.

I had lot of “chuffing”. I finally hooked them up to my MiniDSP 2x4 HD and tweaked the cross over, bypass for high and low and then added some compression and it’s tamed a bit.

I still get some noise from the side with the radiators.

I know others have done this on the forums, curious if there’s any advice? They’re great sounding towers

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I was given a pair of BP-7004 towers for free. After using them for a bit without the subwoofers (because the amps were 10yo and had a bad buzz/hum), I decided to power the subs.

I was able to find a passive cooled dual channel amp and I put a second set of binding posts on the back reusing the hole left by removing the subwoofer volume control knob.

This works, I can power them but after hearing all the rave reviews I feel like by bypassing the powered cross over there must be more happening than simply providing power to the 10” sub.

I had lot of “chuffing”. I finally hooked them up to my MiniDSP 2x4 HD and tweaked the cross over, bypass for high and low and then added some compression and it’s tamed a bit.

I still get some noise from the side with the radiators.

I know others have done this on the forums, curious if there’s any advice? They’re great sounding towers
Yes, you are correct. We have had a long thread on this before. The mids have to cut off at 150 Hz, and the woofer has to go up to meat it. So you must provide a fll range signal to the terminals on the back. So you need to set your receiver or pre pro to LFE plus main and set the crossover at 150 Hz.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis