"Review" article titles

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
This is a repeat of an already-discussed topic, but I forget what all of the previous ideas were, so I'm firing it back up.

Some folks are, shall we say, disappointed when a "review" doesn't contain measurements. That's fair given the reviews of years past and the sites origins. On the flip side, though, I like how more items can get reviewed at a level that I care about by a growing number of staff members that don't have all of the required equipment to do in-depth measurements. For example, I don't need nor really care about measurements for a $500 receiver, but I sure like to hear about some of the aspects that might not be obvious from the spec sheet.

I don't know if you'd want to do it, but maybe three levels of review:
  • Preview: pretty much the AH take on a press release or set of specs, without any use of the equipment
  • Review: a review of equipment after it has been used
  • In-Depth Review: a review of equipment that includes measurements made by AH staff member

Just throwing it out there. That exact list might actually have been proposed already, but I forget.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Unfortunately I'm the only person at Audioholics with the proper gear and know-how to measure amplifier performance. I reserve doing that for products that are interesting to measure. As you stated, measuring a $500 receiver has little value but getting a flagship product or monobloc amp is definitely more interesting and appropriate given the level of buyer of such a product.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis