Revel F208 & C208 power

B

Bone-Head

Junior Audioholic
Well here we go again with another post trying to figure it all out. I have already pre-ordered the Anthem MCA 325 Genn2 amplifier and will eventually receive it. Regardless if I went about this the wrong way, it’s a done deal. I simply need to know if the amplifier (225watts per channel 8 ohms, 400 4 ohms, 600 2 ohm) will get it done with these speakers. I am basically trying to find a set (mains, center & surrounds) that are all 8ohm because the problem for me lies with the receiver being able to power 4 ohm speakers in the rear according to Anthem. I also pre-ordered the Anthem MRX 1140 receiver and in a response from them saying I want to use the JBL HDI 1600 as my rear (trying to get the complete JBL HDI set 3800, 4500 1600) they were not recommending it Due to the 4ohm requirement. So yes I have a dilemma. If I can not solve this, Klipsch will win and I will just buy all there speakers revolving around the RF-7III’s. Thanks again for any help.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How can anyone over the internet tell you if your gear is satisfactory to you or not? What does "get it done" even mean? Why did you choose tyhe Anthem avr/amps over other gear?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Many people use gear that drops below 4 ohms... some with good amps, others with none... most of the time with no problems whatsoever.
That said, if a manufacturer told me not to use 4ohm speakers because of their gear... I’d walk away.
Not go in, hook, line and sinker, on the early adoption of their newest kit.
It doesn’t make sense.
Your priorities are in the wrong place in that you come across as an electrophile looking for the coolest new receiver/processor/amp rather than understanding how to build a great system.
Speakers are what make the sound you will hear. This is where your focus should be. Then build around the speakers you want and enjoy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No worries, didn't latch on to your location originally which makes a huge difference in choices and pricing. Basically I think you're overthinking it, tho. While I wouldn't buy Anthem because its too high priced for its feature set here in the US, it may be reasonable where you are.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Your post disappeared, @Bone-Head . Did you delete it? I was gonna reply to some points, there.
Gotta go out for a bit, perhaps when I get back...

B

Bone-Head

Junior Audioholic
I l
No worries, didn't latch on to your location originally which makes a huge difference in choices and pricing. Basically I think you're overthinking it, tho. While I wouldn't buy Anthem because its too high priced for its feature set here in the US, it may be reasonable where you are.
i actually live near Nashville TN, this is just work far from home

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yea, I deleted it because I think it was too much information I guess
No worries.
Just so you understand, I did not mean that as a dig at you directly when I said "electrophile." Clearly it proved the point. ;)

I'm glad to hear that you went all-in on the HDI speakers. I, for one, will be excited to hear your thoughts once you get home and have time to play and set up your system.
These should absolutely outdo anything Klipsch makes in terms of SQ.

Though I would choose other gear over the new Anthem stuff, I am intellectually intrigued and have high hopes for their new AVRs and Processors.
That said, I am also chomping at the bit to have an excuse to buy the Monolith HTP-1.
When looking at gear and speakers, I do feel it is important to be prepared to drive the speakers with adequate power and current, which most modern AVRs seem to be challenged with doing to some extent or another.
Outboard Amps can be an absolute benefit if applied correctly to your system. For example, I use Outlaw Monoblocks with my speakers. They are not difficult loads by any means, and I chose to go this path strictly for the reason of having adequate headroom for dynamic peaks.
I will also be experimenting with some Hypex Class D Amps soon. I have the modules and just need to do the build. These are rated down to 2-ohms.
What is great about this is that when I delve deeper into Speaker Design and DIY Builds this year, I can experiment a little more freely with less concern I might blow something up when I plug it in. :D
For the cost of Anthem products, I would look equally hard at any option to put my front three on any of the Hypex or Purifi products out there, these from the likes of Apollon, Nord, even ATI has Hypex powered Class-D as an option! ;)

Hope this helps!

And I do hope you continue to share, and ask questions. :)

Cheers!
R

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just to chime in I'm all in on the JBL speaker choices....the processing/amps not so much but mostly on a cost basis.

U

UnPossible

Audiophyte
I am using an older Acurus 200 x 3 to power my F208s and C208. Power seems plenty, at least for my listening levels in a large (5,000 ft^2) room.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis