Revel F206 vs Aperion Verus Grands?

J

jnboone

Junior Audioholic
I live in Memphis where there not a single good place to demo better equipment. Was in Nashville today and listened to several speakers. I liked the Revel's the best. Ordered the Verus Grands when they were on sale. Waiting on them to arrive mid-July. Has anyone ever listened to both? Any impressions?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It is challenging to find a decent place to audition anything these days. And even when you find a place, the acoustic is usually suboptimal.

IMO the best place for audition is in a real home environment, not some stores. So just listen to the Aperion and try your best to compare to the Revel. Comparison from memory isn't ideal, but it's better than nothing.

Really, it's a matter of very subjective opinion. Some people may prefer the Aperion. But I think most people will prefer the Revel simply because it is Revel. :D

The Revel has more prestige and resale value. Some people may extrapolate some similarity traits and "DNA" to the $22,000 Revel Salon2, which is considered by many people to be one of the best speakers in the world.

In the same way, people may associate many KEF speakers to the KEF Blade.

And some people associate the RBH SX-6300/R tower (MSRP $3280, street prices lower) to the $50,000 RBH Status Acoustics 8T speakers.

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
It is challenging to find a decent place to audition anything these days. And even when you find a place, the acoustic is usually suboptimal.

IMO the best place for audition is in a real home environment, not some stores. So just listen to the Aperion and try your best to compare to the Revel. Comparison from memory isn't ideal, but it's better than nothing.

Really, it's a matter of very subjective opinion. Some people may prefer the Aperion. But I think most people will prefer the Revel simply because it is Revel. :D

The Revel has more prestige and resale value. Some people may extrapolate some similarity traits and "DNA" to the $22,000 Revel Salon2, which is considered by many people to be one of the best speakers in the world.

In the same way, people may associate many KEF speakers to the KEF Blade.

And some people associate the RBH SX-6300/R tower (MSRP $3280, street prices lower) to the $50,000 RBH Status Acoustics 8T speakers.
Well I have heard the Revels F208 and F206. F208 really nice, love the sound. The F208's might just be my next speakers. And the dealer is within 30 miles :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well I have heard the Revels F208 and F206. F208 really nice, love the sound. The F208's might just be my next speakers. And the dealer is within 30 miles :D
Accumulating a few speakers, are we? :D

I was thinking about how these manufacturers keep releasing "new and improved" products every year or 2 - 3 years as if speaker technology changes or even improves significantly every few years? By the time most people buy the speakers, the manufacturers are already secretly designing "new" speakers. So you buy F208 this year or next. Then in 1-2 years, they will come out with Performa 4 lines. :D

Of course, the sound quality is the best thing I subjectively love about RBH. But another thing I like is that their speakers are great for 30 years. No nonsense IMO. Like ATI amps. No nonsense. They are good forever. :D

The only thing that really changes are the processors. But even the processor technologies have plateaued for the most part.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Accumulating a few speakers, are we? :D

I was thinking about how these manufacturers keep releasing "new and improved" products every year or 2 - 3 years as if speaker technology changes or even improves significantly every few years? By the time most people buy the speakers, the manufacturers are already secretly designing "new" speakers. So you buy F208 this year or next. Then in 1-2 years, they will come out with Performa 4 lines. :D

Of course, the sound quality is the best thing I subjectively love about RBH. But another thing I like is that their speakers are great for 30 years. No nonsense IMO. Like ATI amps. No nonsense. They are good forever. :D

The only thing that really changes are the processors. But even the processor technologies have plateaued for the most part.

nah just currently looking and listening to everything close by, like JBL 1400 array, Revels, we are heading to Fort Lauderdale to a wedding next weekend and while I'm down there I plan to listen to Sonus Faber, Tannoy speakers and whatever else I can find in a bigger city.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
nah just currently looking and listening to everything close by, like JBL 1400 array, Revels, we are heading to Fort Lauderdale to a wedding next weekend and while I'm down there I plan to listen to Sonus Faber, Tannoy speakers and whatever else I can find in a bigger city.
OK. Good. Never hurts to just listen. :D

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
When it comes to speakers, you certainly do fall in love with the last girl you danced with. ;) I noticed the divorce proceedings were sort of expensive too, though you chose your previous brands so wisely it could have been a lot worse. I hope you do indeed love the RBHs for a long time, because the resale market for them seems far less dynamic than for the B&Ws.

Just guessing... improvements in software modelling and materials science for drivers will probably mean the speakers of 10 years from now will be significantly better than the speakers of today, which were mostly designed 5-10 years ago. (It looks like the majority of Stereophile's Class A recommended speakers were designed in about 2007-2009, and perhaps one or two of them got a mid-life tune-up.)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When it comes to speakers, you certainly do fall in love with the last girl you danced with. ;) I noticed the divorce proceedings were sort of expensive too, though you chose your previous brands so wisely it could have been a lot worse. I hope you do indeed love the RBHs for a long time, because the resale market for them seems far less dynamic than for the B&Ws.

Just guessing... improvements in software modelling and materials science for drivers will probably mean the speakers of 10 years from now will be significantly better than the speakers of today, which were mostly designed 5-10 years ago. (It looks like the majority of Stereophile's Class A recommended speakers were designed in about 2007-2009, and perhaps one or two of them got a mid-life tune-up.)
Not really. I "danced" with the RBH T2 towers way before I even "danced" with any of the speakers I recently owned, including the Salon2, 802D2, Orion, KEF 201/2, etc. :D

I guess some could say that I'm going back to my first true love because after everything else, I finally realized there isn't anything really better. :D

And the NHT speakers I bought 24 years ago still sound at least as good as many brand new speakers today and better than many. "Newer" or "different" doesn't mean better.

And as far as measurement, as if newer speakers would better the +/- 0.9dB response of the NHT Absolute Zero or +/- 1.0 response of the KEF 201/2 or as if we could tell a "significant" improvement from +/-1dB vs +/-2dB. :D

In the case of B&W, they went from the original ~ +/-2dB flat response w/ smooth off-axis to something like +/-4dB on-axis and very uneven off-axis response. No improvement there. :D

The Infinity P360 speakers from 10+ years ago still measure and sound like the new P363 today.

BTW, you guys will never guess what I am putting in my family room now for speakers - now that Phil3, Focal, Dynaudio, & ATC are all sold. :eek:

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
And as far as measurement, as if newer speakers would better the +/- 0.9dB response of the NHT Absolute Zero or +/- 1.0 response of the KEF 201/2 or as if we could tell a "significant" improvement from +/-1dB vs +/-2dB. :D
Even a non-expert like me knows there's a lot more to how speakers sound than on-axis frequency response at 70db. The Salon2s, already over six years old since they were released, blow the doors off the speakers I used 24 years ago, and those speakers were the same ones used by Jack Renner of Telarc as studio monitors. I'm still thinking the future looks promising.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja

BTW, you guys will never guess what I am putting in my family room now for speakers - now that Phil3, Focal, Dynaudio, & ATC are all sold. :eek:
I never thought you would put Bose cubes in your family room, going back to your roots :D

ManBarra

ManBarra

Enthusiast
I've never heard the Revs. However I made a few stops around my area. Listened to some B&W's and GoldenEar's and Aperion. The GoldenEar's were a bit bright with a scoop in the mids. B&W's were a generally flat response and didn't quite have the high end that I prefer. Then listening to the Aperions they are in the middle of the two.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis