Requesting Guidance on Enhancing My Home Theatre System to Provide a More Immersion

bovico7245

bovico7245

Audiophyte
Hello Everyone :),

I could really use some guidance from the professionals here as I'm upgrading my home theatre system. Right now, I utilise a mid-range setup with a 4K TV and a 5.1 dimensional sound system. Although it has been a good home theatre system for the past four years, I'm now wanting to upgrade to something with more immersive sound and sights to the community.

Here are some specifics about my objectives and current setup:
  • Dimensions of the room: 15' x 20' (rectangular)
  • Present setup: 5.1 surround sound with a subwoofer and midrange speakers
  • TV: 65-inch 4K LED; estimated cost: $3,000 to $5,000 (for both visual and aural enhancements)
  • Main Uses: TV series, films, video games, and occasional music listening
I'm thinking about getting a Dolby Atmos system or even an upgrade to 7.1, but I'm not sure if that's the best course of action. I'm also willing to upgrade my TV or maybe think about getting a projector so I can enjoy a real movie theatre experience. Additionally, I'm interested in the advantages of acoustic treatment for the space and the potential impact they may have.

I have the following specific queries:
  1. Should I spend money on a bigger screen or projector first, or should I focus on updating my audio setup for Dolby Atmos?
  2. Which speaker types or brands would you suggest for me, staying within my budget, that provide the ideal value for their immersive sound quality?
  3. How significant are acoustical treatments, & are there any of the reasonably priced options that have a noticeable impact on google cloud platform?
Any advice or ideas you have would be greatly appreciated. Interested in hearing your opinions!

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Welcome to the forum @bovico7245

There are a few "professionals" here on the Board but I'm not one of them. (Except Electrical or some Electronic areas where I was trained.) My audio chops are from decades of experience, and a stint as a DJ many moons ago. I do have 4 Home Theater (HT) Set-ups of various configurations, with one being a full Atmos system = 7.2.4 in a room of similar size to yours. I'll give you some advice as to how to ask the right questions here.

First I need to caution you that the move from a good 5.1, system to a 7.1, and then onto say a a full Atmos system like a 7.2.4 offer small increases in the experience as you move along, except for well done Atmos soundtracks on Blu-ray (like Action Movies which can truly be impressive). Other sources (at least to me) are less satisfying. Hopefully you can listen to a good Atmos system to see where you are headed with your types of source material, before you jump in with both feet. To me good source material is the absolute key to good sound in any configuration.

To start with most here like to know exactly what your current equipment is (Make and models please), and a sketch of what the room looks like (with a photo or two is helpful). Please define the purpose of the set-up. Will it be for a single listening position, a couch & chairs, or a tiered HT layout with rows of seating?

Another factor is size of the equipment, preference for in walls / in ceiling, small subs, the dreaded WAF :eek: (Wife Acceptance Factor) which can typically trump all recommendations. Basically the more timely info you can provide the more responses you'll get from the team here.

I hope this is helpful.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis