Replacing speaker components

Joni_78

Joni_78

Enthusiast
Hi,

I recently noticed that the tweeter from my left Yamaha NS-777 is dead. I ordered new spare from Yamaha and replaced it. While doing it I noticed that there was almost none polyfill etc inside. So I stumpled into this youtube video.

Open speaker Yamaha NS-777 (NS-555) and makes it better - YouTube

Then on the comments there were some "opinions" where people suggested how to improve these speakers. Changing caps and such is that really something that would make a difference? I would like to get some improvements on the tweeter and midrange and maybe on the low end too.

Here's some of the components various people suggested to change

"New Filter"
"Air Core inductor"
"Mylar Capacitor"
"nonpolar capacitor"

Here's a photo from the components inside the NS-777. I haven't never really digged into speaker internals so I have no idea what each of these components do for the sound. So is there something that would be worth doing?

image.jpeg

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi,

I recently noticed that the tweeter from my left Yamaha NS-777 is dead. I ordered new spare from Yamaha and replaced it. While doing it I noticed that there was almost none polyfill etc inside. So I stumpled into this youtube video.

Open speaker Yamaha NS-777 (NS-555) and makes it better - YouTube

Then on the comments there were some "opinions" where people suggested how to improve these speakers. Changing caps and such is that really something that would make a difference? I would like to get some improvements on the tweeter and midrange and maybe on the low end too.

Here's some of the components various people suggested to change

"New Filter"
"Air Core inductor"
"Mylar Capacitor"
"nonpolar capacitor"

Here's a photo from the components inside the NS-777. I haven't never really digged into speaker internals so I have no idea what each of these components do for the sound. So is there something that would be worth doing?

View attachment 45797
Leave it alone, you won't improve the speaker, just make it worse. It is easier to design and build a speaker from scratch, then to modify an existing one.
If you don't like those speakers any longer, then buy or build new ones.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
First, I will say that much like Audio Cables, there is a lot of Snake Oil in the discussion of XO Components, especially Capacitors. I do not accept that an $80 Capacitor impregnated with silver oil or whatever will magically change the way a speaker sounds compared to a good quality $5 Capacitor.
Now, you have 4 Polarized Electrolytic Caps on that board, and those are the Caps I've been told to avoid for various reasons. If they are bulging or leaking, they must be replaced. If you were to replace them with good quality Metalized Poly Caps, you would e fine and have an XO that should last a very long time with no concern of component failure.
FWIW, I used Audyn Q4 Capacitors in my recent build. They came to me highly recommended by both hobbyist and professionals.
Inductors are a little different and how you approach them can be tricky. Almost more important than anything is placement and orientation of the Inductor on the board in relation to other Inductors. Air Cores are generally preferred, but can get overwhelmingly large and heavy... and expensive. While many are concerned with Saturation and Iron Cores, I have seen arguments on both sides with one respected voice saying that saturation really shouldn't be a concern for most listeners. I do not have an opinion here, however there is another more important aspect about inductors that has to be considered if you go switching components: the DCR value.
Most Solid Core Inductors will have a lower DCR than an Air Core. That change can add up and affect the performance of the speaker. That said, Laminated Steel Core Inductors are likely the better option for being concerned about Saturation, they are still inexpensive compared to some of the larger Air Cores... and they work. I've seen these in Boutique Speakers: there is nothing wrong with them.

In the end, it comes down to what you really want to do, and whether your pockets are deep enough.

More importantly, remember: this is just a signal path for electrons. It's not Kobe Beef that needs to get massaged with Sake. :p Electrons just need a path of good conductivity.
Sound Quality comes from the individual Drivers in your Speakers. Those, the design and build quality of the Cabinet, and the interaction between the overall Speaker and the room. If you are finding yourself unhappy with your Speakers... Get new speakers!
Going in and playing around with all the other stuff is frankly a futile rabbit hole. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Leave it alone, you won't improve the speaker, just make it worse. It is easier to design and build a speaker from scratch, then to modify an existing one.
If you don't like those speakers any longer, then buy or build new ones.
Ha.
He said it way shorter than I did.
;)

Joni_78

Joni_78

Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies I guess you are right. New speakers are something that I have been looking, but before that I wanted to try some modifications to see what kind of impact different things have and maybe learn what these components inside do. Polyfill had big impact when I tried on the left speaker as these had barely nothing inside. That lead me to think if there is anything I can do to these components.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I always commend the quest for knowledge in the hobby one is inclined towards. Within our Audio Hobby, this can include learning Acoustics, Electrical Engineering, Woodworking... :p
But seriously, if you are so inclined, check out the Murphy or Weems Books for friendly introductions to Speaker design.
Crossover design gets more involved and is touched on in those books, but one can find more info online in various formats from forums to dedicated sites or YT vids.
Even stuffing a Speaker has an art to it. How much of which material can have a significant impact. In a Sealed Speaker, it increases the Apparent Volume of the cabinet, in a ported cabinet it helps break up the back waves of the driver, but one must be careful to not block the port or the back of the driver.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
First, I will say that much like Audio Cables, there is a lot of Snake Oil in the discussion of XO Components, especially Capacitors. I do not accept that an $80 Capacitor impregnated with silver oil or whatever will magically change the way a speaker sounds compared to a good quality $5 Capacitor.
Now, you have 4 Polarized Electrolytic Caps on that board, and those are the Caps I've been told to avoid for various reasons. If they are bulging or leaking, they must be replaced. If you were to replace them with good quality Metalized Poly Caps, you would e fine and have an XO that should last a very long time with no concern of component failure.
FWIW, I used Audyn Q4 Capacitors in my recent build. They came to me highly recommended by both hobbyist and professionals.
Inductors are a little different and how you approach them can be tricky. Almost more important than anything is placement and orientation of the Inductor on the board in relation to other Inductors. Air Cores are generally preferred, but can get overwhelmingly large and heavy... and expensive. While many are concerned with Saturation and Iron Cores, I have seen arguments on both sides with one respected voice saying that saturation really shouldn't be a concern for most listeners. I do not have an opinion here, however there is another more important aspect about inductors that has to be considered if you go switching components: the DCR value.
Most Solid Core Inductors will have a lower DCR than an Air Core. That change can add up and affect the performance of the speaker. That said, Laminated Steel Core Inductors are likely the better option for being concerned about Saturation, they are still inexpensive compared to some of the larger Air Cores... and they work. I've seen these in Boutique Speakers: there is nothing wrong with them.

In the end, it comes down to what you really want to do, and whether your pockets are deep enough.

More importantly, remember: this is just a signal path for electrons. It's not Kobe Beef that needs to get massaged with Sake. :p Electrons just need a path of good conductivity.
Sound Quality comes from the individual Drivers in your Speakers. Those, the design and build quality of the Cabinet, and the interaction between the overall Speaker and the room. If you are finding yourself unhappy with your Speakers... Get new speakers!
Going in and playing around with all the other stuff is frankly a futile rabbit hole. :)
The caps that people say to avoid work fine- if they didn't, the speaker brands that people loved and adored from the past wouldn't have received the praise that was heaped on them. Electrolytics were/are sometimes used because they're smaller than an equivalent non-polarized cap.

If you want a real eye-opener, look inside of a Klipsch speaker from the '70s. The caps look almost like Sardine cans.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis