Replacing my Dayton 15’s

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I’m considering replacing my Dayton 15’s. They are the ultimax flat packs, sealed. I want something with a smaller footprint and a nicer appearance. Hoping it can yield similar performance. I power then with an XLS2500 right now. I’m considering the SVS SB3000 or the HSU ULS 15. Is this worth the extra money? I was thinking I could sell mine and amp and the out of packet should be between $800-1000 or so. Thoughts....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
How much space are you looking to save? The ULS-15 is within an inch or two dimensionally of the UM15 flat packs, and the SVS SB3000 is just an inch or two smaller than the Hsu in each dimension. Performance wise I'd keep what you have or get the Hsu's. Going down to two smaller subs is not something I'd do.

Is there any way that you could refinish your current sub boxes? That might be your cheapest option, even if you paid someone to do it for you it would probably still work out cheaper.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How much space are you looking to save? The ULS-15 is within an inch or two dimensionally of the UM15 flat packs, and the SVS SB3000 is just an inch or two smaller than the Hsu in each dimension. Performance wise I'd keep what you have or get the Hsu's. Going down to two smaller subs is not something I'd do.

Is there any way that you could refinish your current sub boxes? That might be your cheapest option, even if you paid someone to do it for you it would probably still work out cheaper.
That really isn't a bad suggestion at all. Sound quality-wise and size-wise it's pretty much a lateral move. The out of pocket would more or less be going toward cosmetics anyway.

*Edit: Plus having a single outboard amp for your current setup is a better longevity option too.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
That’s not a bad idea to get the boxes professionally done. I may look into that option.

I did realize I am getting only a few inches but. In my current location it could help with some easier access behind my couch.

Will the HSU outperform my current pair?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Hsu is ported, so not really fair comparo depending how you define perform. A single vs duals, tho? Not so much.

I've seen people mention some good paint shop deals thru auto body shops....and an auto quality finish would be killer.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The Hsu is ported, so not really fair comparo depending how you define perform. A single vs duals, tho? Not so much.

I've seen people mention some good paint shop deals thru auto body shops....and an auto quality finish would be killer.
I love the paint shop idea. Another idea could be a cabinet shop. They’d be able to finish nicely, and PE has veneer kits too iirc.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai

He's looking at the ULS 15, which is still sealed.

Like others have said, going to another pair of sealed 15" drivers is not going to be a real audio upgrade, just a visual upgrade, and a bit of space. For the record the Hsu's footprint is 18 x19.5, and the UM15's is 19.25 X 20. If you don't have any kind of DSP on the ultimax's though, you may gain some low end output with the Hsu's as they have some DSP.

I'd still be inclined to keep the current setup, get them painted or finished how you like, and add a mini-dsp if you want to get a bit more out of the ultimax's.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Thanks everyone. I think I am going the refinish route... I can work on some low end boost and such also. I do have an old minidsp from about 5 years ago. I assume it can be still used. It should be cheaper in the long run. I was considering building new boxes also from scratch. Maybe with smaller foot print and maybe a little taller overall.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
He's looking at the ULS 15, which is still sealed.

Like others have said, going to another pair of sealed 15" drivers is not going to be a real audio upgrade, just a visual upgrade, and a bit of space. For the record the Hsu's footprint is 18 x19.5, and the UM15's is 19.25 X 20. If you don't have any kind of DSP on the ultimax's though, you may gain some low end output with the Hsu's as they have some DSP.

I'd still be inclined to keep the current setup, get them painted or finished how you like, and add a mini-dsp if you want to get a bit more out of the ultimax's.
D'oh I knew that. Brain fart, was thinking VTF3 :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks everyone. I think I am going the refinish route... I can work on some low end boost and such also. I do have an old minidsp from about 5 years ago. I assume it can be still used. It should be cheaper in the long run. I was considering building new boxes also from scratch. Maybe with smaller foot print and maybe a little taller overall.

A little taller eh? How about an LLT sonosub?

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Well that would be great but that may be worse for my room. Although I am guessing that is ported. If I did sealed it could be shorter

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well that would be great but that may be worse for my room. Although I am guessing that is ported. If I did sealed it could be shorter

Yeah that one is definitely ported and probably tuned around 10hz? You can definitely do a sealed one and the sonosub builder freeware can help you calculate an enclosure.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I’m considering replacing my Dayton 15’s. They are the ultimax flat packs, sealed. I want something with a smaller footprint and a nicer appearance. Hoping it can yield similar performance. I power then with an XLS2500 right now. I’m considering the SVS SB3000 or the HSU ULS 15. Is this worth the extra money? I was thinking I could sell mine and amp and the out of packet should be between $800-1000 or so. Thoughts....

How about the SVS cylinder subs? Smaller footprint at least.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Well I tried to get my old minidsp online. I think it has some issues. It started giving crazy feedback through my subs. I have tried to reconnect it since then and it won’t put any signal to them now.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Are there better options to buy vs another minidsp?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are there better options to buy vs another minidsp?

I think the minidsp offerings are still considered the best for such. There's a Dayton unit (4x8 something) but don't think it compares all that well overall....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis