Replacements for B&W CM5

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
What would you suggest for front speakers? I have CM5s now and would like to try something else. They MUST be Bookshelfs [wife].

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
A 3-way bookshelf speaker, the BMR Philharmonitor.
$1600, more for custom finishes. In 2012, the CM5 retailed for $1500 (USA).

The BMR's cabinet is larger than the CM5:
22" high × 9" wide × 13.5" deep​
CM5:
13.4" high × 11.2" wide × 7.8" deep​

What is it about the CM5's sound that makes you want something different?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Nothing specific about the CM5s just looking around for something different.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Think my Ultras that I have for sale would be a good fit for you. Very good speakers and in great shape! ;);););)

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
ManofVoice

ManofVoice

Audiophyte
What would you suggest for front speakers? I have CM5s now and would like to try something else. They MUST be Bookshelfs [wife].
I'm interested in trying a pair of CM5s. Curious to see what your impressions are on another set.

What are your favorite qualities of the CM5s?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Something in a slightly higher price range ($1800/pr vs. $1500/pr) with a very different sound would be KEF R300. More laid-back tweeter, richer mid-bass, though about the same low end. Both CM5 and R300 are rear ported and about the same size and weight.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Nothing really wrong with CM5s just would like to try something different.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Nothing really wrong with CM5s just would like to try something different.
I currently own CM5's as well as 3 other stand-mount speakers so I may be able to offer some suggestions but I need more to go on.

For starters:

What do you like about the CM5's?

What do you dislike about the CM5's?

In a perfect world, what attribute would you like them to have that you feel they currently lack?

What price range were you considering?

Last edited:
Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Well to start with I like the warmness of the BWs but would like something a little crisper without being to thin sounding. I don't know else to put it. 20-25 lbs and well built like the CM5s.

As for price, free would be nice as well as used (but not abused). Under $2000 to be sure. 2 or 3 ways as long as bookshelves.

I have a good subwoofer that's 12".

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
A 3-way bookshelf speaker, the BMR Philharmonitor.
$1600, more for custom finishes. In 2012, the CM5 retailed for $1500 (USA).

The BMR's cabinet is larger than the CM5:
22" high × 9" wide × 13.5" deep​
CM5:
13.4" high × 11.2" wide × 7.8" deep​

What is it about the CM5's sound that makes you want something different?
Agreed - BMR are great speaker, but if OP is not interested in bass, New Philamonitor - both smaller in size and price. only a bit above $1000

You'll not regret getting them

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Well to start with I like the warmness of the BWs but would like something a little crisper without being to thin sounding. I don't know else to put it. 20-25 lbs and well built like the CM5s.

As for price, free would be nice as well as used (but not abused). Under $2000 to be sure. 2 or 3 ways as long as bookshelves.

I have a good subwoofer that's 12".

The CM5's would fall into my classification of "crisp". At their price-point, they are very detailed and revealing. If you had said things like wanted more dynamics or a more laid back presentation or even a warmer deeper sound that would be another story. There are a lot of speakers out there that are going to take you in the opposite direction from where you want to go, i.e. more laid back or lusher. It seems like that's not what you are looking for.

In all honesty I have a feeling your issue may not be with the speakers but with your source or possibly the amplification. It may even be a placement issue. It's also possible that you may need to tweak the crossover setting of the sub.

How close to the front wall are they?

How large is the room (and how is it furnished, plush or stark)?

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
You are in many ways describing the sound of the KEF R300, though just a touch over at 26.3 pounds.

And it's a 3-way speaker.

R300 specs

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis