Repairing a Salvaged Onkyo Subwoofer?

PhysicistSarah

PhysicistSarah

Audiophyte
I saw a subwoofer that someone had left on the street for collection with some other garbage as I was rolling down the street this morning.

It was clearly put out for trash and when I pressed the speaker in, it seemed fine. I decided to take a chance on it and bring it back in the hope that it would function somewhat well, but it appears to be broken. One part of the board somehow snapped off (Pics below). I desoldered some wires (The primary power wires for the woofer I would imagine, they were the large red/black ones that were preventing me from taking the board out) from it so I could get the actual board out of the subwoofer and get a better look at it. I took pictures of where the 2 wires desoldered were so I know where to put them back and in what location.

Is it possible to get another board to replace the one that was broken, or do I have to solder the components that are supposed to be connected together, or is it just hopeless?

If it is hopeless, what should i do with the remaining items? I'm guessing that the case/woofer is still of use and can be used with a different driver?

20190906_161951.jpg

20190906_161742.jpg
20190906_161750.jpg

EDIT 0:

Just found this PCB board repair technique:

Might not need a new board, but is there anywhere I can buy one just in case?

Attachments

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Wow that’s some avatar!
You MIGHT be able to get one from Onkyo but it’s prob a Hail Mary.
FWIW, Onkyo subs aren’t very good, so at best fixing it would basically be an exercise in “just because I can” lol. One thing I might to in that vein would be just to power it with a cheap amp. It might work ok for a small desktop sub. If the driver isn’t roached...

PhysicistSarah

PhysicistSarah

Audiophyte
Wow that’s some avatar!
You MIGHT be able to get one from Onkyo but it’s prob a Hail Mary.
FWIW, Onkyo subs aren’t very good, so at best fixing it would basically be an exercise in “just because I can” lol. One thing I might to in that vein would be just to power it with a cheap amp. It might work ok for a small desktop sub. If the driver isn’t roached...
Thank you!

I designed it myself in the SoulCalibur 6 editor. It took a lot of time, but looks great in online fights!

I'll see if Onkyo has any. Not sure I can repair the board because it's missing a piece. I don't know, we'll see. It might not be worth the effort though :)

Here are some more pictures:
MEAGETHCMDR_SOULCALIBURVI_20190316_08-28-49.png
MEAGETHCMDR_SOULCALIBURVI_20190303_07-45-32.png

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you!

I designed it myself in the SoulCalibur 6 editor. It took a lot of time, but looks great in online fights!

I'll see if Onkyo has any. Not sure I can repair the board because it's missing a piece. I don't know, we'll see. It might not be worth the effort though :)

Here are some more pictures:
View attachment 31063View attachment 31064
Very nice!

I had a Cervantes build (I think it was SC IV) that looked exactly like Dr Doom and a Maxi build that looked like the Green Goblin. I had a lot of fun with character editor. I used to love Soul Caliber and fighting games in general. Unfortunately it was quite a while ago and I never saved any images.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis