Repair Paradigm Monitor v1 or not....?

Sethboy

Sethboy

Audiophyte
I have a pair of original Paradigm Monitor (aka Mini Monitor) v1 speakers (circa 1998 I think) that probably need some reconditioning, repair, and TLC. One of the rubber rings in the front has a small hole and one of the cones (?) has a scratch. The center channel speaker as far as I know is still in good condition.

I contacted Paradigm and they quoted $130 (each!!) to repair/service, plus shipping of course - and they are pretty heavy. So I'm looking at like almost 300 dollars to "fix" them.

I hate to toss them, or leave them sitting around for another decade, but 300 bucks is half of the cost of 2 brand new decent quality speakers, so it seems silly.

Any advice? Should I e-bay them? Find some sort of local repair shop? (I'm assuming replacement parts would be next to impossible to find). Or what should I do with them?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It would be cheaper for you to order these instead:
http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html
From your other thread it seems you're getting very serious amp so loss of 5db in efficiency won't be an issue
As for repair,you could try to do it yourself - look for surround repair kits online.

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
Well, a couple of years ago, I found a pair of these in a pawn shop for $40.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Half is still cheaper. Besides you clearly have nostalgia for them.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
It is your choice on what you do - However overall sound quality has improved from the
former Paradigm Mini Monitor V1 speakers. I would explore some options.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I owned V1s and V2s along with Monitor 5 v2s. There are definitely better speakers out there today for less than what those cost new and less than that $300 to recondition.

Sethboy

Sethboy

Audiophyte
Thanks everyone for the input. I have a pair of Elac Unifi UB6 on the way, so it's more the nostalgia thing I guess. Our next door neighbor is an audio tech guy so if I see him I'll try and have him over for a listen of the Paradigms, and then see from there.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis