Repair a Subwoofer?

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
I've got a couple of Subwoofers laying around (blown) and thought it might be worth it to fix them. My plan is to build a Home theater subwoofer with them. Anyone know of a good site that has step by step instructions for repairing a blown woofer? And where to get get a replacement Voice coil (besides PE)? The cone is ok...maybe replace that while I'm at it? The voice coil is frozen in the magnet, so I dont know if it is even possible. thought I would ask here before I tried to take them apart.

The subs are Soundstream, model-SS12R. there a little bit old...but might have a little life in em!

thanks for the help

annunaki

annunaki

Unless you can replace with the same tolorance coil, spider and surround, as well as using equal tolorance adhesives, it is not suggested. You will be better off buying new woofers. Those are definitely cooked. They were pretty good subs though.

V

Vynilforlife

Audioholic Intern
I don't know about in Pittsburgh, but in Youngstown there is a store called "the Speaker Shop", A guy named Nick runs it. That guy can recone anything. Give him a call.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the replies...Ill give that guy a call and see what he has to say. I did some research and I found a ton of sites that will repair them but it would cost aaprox 100-150$ each.

Those speakers rocked. Thought if I got them fixed, I could make a killer HT sub. I had 6 of them in my old 4-runner. They blew the rear window off the track:D i was in an accident 4 years ago, and when I got them back (the car was wrecked and I spent a couple of weeks in the hospital), they were frozen inside the magnet. found a couple in the basement of my parents house a little bit ago and thought it would be a cool project. May be a loss but Ill still look around...

any more suggestions would be appreciated

C

CaptinGonads

Audiophyte
I've seen a few times where the wire between the terminal and the voice coil is burnt out so the sub is not really blown it's just not getting any power. Might be worth a try.

annunaki

annunaki

For the cost of the replacement, you could purchase JL Audio's 12W1v2 for about the same price. If you find a local dealer and made a deal to buy 6, you could probably get them for $95.00-$110.00 each depending upon the salesperson. They will easily best those old Soundstreams for performance.

The sub (JL) uses a highly linear motor considering it's reasonable price tag. You could also do the Dayton Reference series High Fidelity series woofer for about that same price as well. Either one will easily beat the Soundstream in linearity and performance.

Get the eight ohm versions run three in parallel on each channel of a Behringer EP2500 or EP1500 at 2.67 ohms for a killer set up. The JL's model reasonably well as do the Dayton's for low tuned vented enclosures.

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
I’ve seen a portion of sites that provide spare parts for repairing loudspeakers often the most common one is (edge foam surround). So take extra care with the subwoofers especially with LFE.1 as it can be a quite unforgiving and unpredictable in its output level vs frequency response as well.;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis