Removing JBL L150 speakers from cabinet

I

ifsixwasnin9

Audioholic
I took the screws out of the woofer but the speaker still won't come out. How do I remove it?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would use something like a plastic pry bar. There’s probably a gasket in place holding the driver still.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I took the screws out of the woofer but the speaker still won't come out. How do I remove it?
Why do you want to remove it? It's always possible to take it out of the box. The problem trying to do it entails the risk of damaging the frame gasket which is sticking to the cabinet with the passage of time.

I

ifsixwasnin9

Audioholic
I have to refoam the woofers so I wanted to remove them from the cabinet.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have to refoam the woofers so I wanted to remove them from the cabinet.
That is a good reason to remove them. A flat blade may work, but one of those nail pullers often do the trick. You may unavoidably do a little damage to the wood.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I agree with plastic prybar, likely easiest and should cause less damage. It shouldn't take too much to pop it off, even with a tape/glued gasket. Maybe hit it with a hair dryer or heat gun for 10-15 seconds in one spot on the edge to start the process.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
There are no gaskets on my JBL L100's, maybe none on your speakers. A light tap with a rubber mallet may separate speakers from cabinet. Don't pry since that could pull veneer off cabinet.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Poke your fingers through the damaged foam surround, and grab the frame, and pull.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
There are no gaskets on my JBL L100's, maybe none on your speakers. A light tap with a rubber mallet may separate speakers from cabinet. Don't pry since that could pull veneer off cabinet.
It’s definitely possible that they don’t have a gasket. But if they’re old enough to need new foams, the vinyl wrap is probably grafted to the basket. Or something similar

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It’s definitely possible that they don’t have a gasket. But if they’re old enough to need new foams, the vinyl wrap is probably grafted to the basket. Or something similar
JBL speakers typically have a paper gasket that doesn't show from the front. If you don't have a set of small hook tools, this is as good a time to get one as any. Insert the tip between the frame and cabinet wherever it fits- I sometimes insert it into the screw holes, slide it in and rotate the tip and lean it back gently so it lifts the frame. If the frames are cast aluminum, there's no danger of it bending. once the first lift, move on to the adjacent holes and repeat.

Something similar to these-

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis