Remote Home Theater Equipment Question

F

fftfk

Enthusiast
Hi all,

Is there a general consensus as to what is better...my general consensus contractor wants to set up the AV system on the other side of the house in the basement. I want the equipment in our family room.

What are the pro/cons? I've always equipment in the room where the system is.

Thanks for any responses.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
This is all about lifestyle and aesthetics.

If you are having a system installed locally in the room, you want a good location for all of your gear. If this is a family room, then are you doing surround sound? Speakers in walls or ceiling? Ceiling really sucks, walls are better, but bookshelves or floor standers are really the way to go.

On a more generic... If installing in the room, do you have the ability to run cabling to the TV location easily? If the TV is over a fireplace, likely you do NOT have this capacity! This is a long term issue. You MUST have conduit run from the equipment location to the TV location, and that conduit should be at least 1" internal diameter, preferably 1.5". The orange Carlon conduit is most typical for low voltage of this nature. I use it regularly.

But, if you have to have conduit in place already, and the room doesn't need the equipment right in it all the time, then why not remote locate the equipment? Put it in a storage area in the basement which can have a proper audio/video rack in it. Maybe think way outside the box on things. This can put your Roku and cable box in that location, and maybe a small Blu-ray player in the room, or a local HDMI connection for a game console under the TV. It will cost more, but long term will look really nice.

Now, here's the deal. If you have an in-room equipment location for local devices, that location needs conduit as well. That way you can add/remove gear as you need it.

An IR repeater system to the TV location gives easy control of your devices from factory remotes, and products like Harmony remotes can give you an all-in-one solution.

A lot more needs to go into wiring and I STRONGLY recommend that as much equipment that can be wired to the network be hard wired. So, your game console, media streamer (Roku/AppleTV), TV, etc. should all be hard wired to the home network if at all possible. Run this cabling now if the home is under construction. Add a wired network jack in every room of the home if you can.

I do run a remote and local system in my home for the family room. Local gear is in a closet right next to the family room and it houses the PS4, Wii, and Blu-ray Disc player. It has cabling that runs to the basement about 40 feet away. From there, the basement has a Denon receiver that feeds 3.1 audio to the speakers in the room and sends HDMI back up to the TV. I don't have the basement finished yet, so I have retro access, but before I finish the basement, you better believe that conduit will be in place to the family room rack and the family room TV locations.

I love remote locating equipment. It really keeps the room super clean.

F

fftfk

Enthusiast
Thank you for the detailed response. I was worried it would be a mistake having everything in the basement but it doesn't sound like it

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It CAN be, but if you have conduit in place, and proper access, it can be really cool as well. Of course, my setup isn't typical of most, but I have installed a number of systems with equipment centralized to a basement or closet location. Put a local Blu-ray player in a nearby closet, or similar, and run conduit.

Conduit, conduit, conduit!!! Not hard plastic PVC junk, actual low voltage designed Carlon orange conduit with smooth sweeps for easy pulling of cables.

F

fftfk

Enthusiast
Alright, we are going with remote equipment. I
am planning on a Denon AVR-X3500H, Martin Logan SLM X3 soundbar (yes, I know but the wife demands a sound bar, Martin Logan Electro Motion IC in ceiling surrounds, and a sunfire SDS 12 sub. My questions are:

Besides separates vs a sound bar, how does this set up look equipment wise? Would you recommend anything different? My requirements are - I would like to have the higher end audyssey or an equivalent and the ability to run a second zone.

The equipment will be remote. Will an IR repeater work? Can I run one over cat 5? My installer is pushing either Control 4 or URC controller which are both, surprise, installer centric and lock the owner out of making changes. What is the best method for controlling remote equipment which does not tie you to an installer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Depending on how large your room is, a second subwoofer would be good and you need to make sure that what you get can handle a 100, 110hz crossover well as you will need to cross higher than with most in room speakers.

F

fftfk

Enthusiast
Depending on how large your room is, a second subwoofer would be good and you need to make sure that what you get can handle a 100, 110hz crossover well as you will need to cross higher than with most in room speakers.
I believe the Denon can handle the crossover. It has dual sub output and crossover controls.

I cannot do a second sub but do have the ability to go with a larger sub/different brand.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I believe the Denon can handle the crossover. It has dual sub output and crossover controls.

I cannot do a second sub but do have the ability to go with a larger sub/different brand.

I was referring to the sub. If it can play cleanly up to 120hz or so you can use a 100/110hz crossover

Last edited:
F

fftfk

Enthusiast
Oh - I will definitely check that. I keep going back and forth between sunfire and svs. They are both good quality so would think they have it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis