Reliability of this amps?

N

noclue

Audioholic
https://vtvamplifier.com/28130-2/
Versus say ATI or monolith I am getting a new amp 7 channel or mix of one to get 7 channel to go with my AT-300 pore pro.
I have seen a lot of good talk about Class d amps, but noit much said on there reliablity

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
VTV assembles Hypex amp modules and so far reliability has been great. Class D reliable implementation has been around a while, where have you been lately?

N

noclue

Audioholic
just working a lot and tring to figure what to get i realing like the sound from the cheap price of the AT-300 but my speaker need a bit to drive and need a amp for a pre-pro anyway

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
ATI has longer warranties than any other class d amp provider. Also almost twice as expensive and twice as heavy as any other hypex builds (same power). For multichannel hypex amps I went with Nord Audio in England. No heat issues, switchable interconnects between XLR and RCA on the back and MUCH cheaper than ATI. Audio Science Review website has “tear down” reviews of the build quality for the ATI amps, Nord amps, and VTV amps. The VTV received some criticisms for their build quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Rereading my post what I meant was generally the current generation of class D amps have been quite successful, not particularly that VTV has any particular track record so far....hard in some respects as Hypex or Purifi modules are relatively new, too. Will go check that VTV teardown thread...

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Oh lovinthehd I wasn’t replying about your post. You’re one of the most knowledgeable forum members on this website. I was just trying to offer my comparative research on class d multi hypex ncores.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh lovinthehd I wasn’t replying about your post. You’re one of the most knowledgeable forum members on this website. I was just trying to offer my comparative research on class d multi hypex ncores.

LOL thanks, but did make me reread and clarify my post....there are a bunch of ways to buy amps using these modules, tho. Buckeye I've paid more attention to but that's not much either, not really in the market myself.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
ATI has longer warranties than any other class d amp provider. Also almost twice as expensive and twice as heavy as any other hypex builds (same power). For multichannel hypex amps I went with Nord Audio in England. No heat issues, switchable interconnects between XLR and RCA on the back and MUCH cheaper than ATI. Audio Science Review website has “tear down” reviews of the build quality for the ATI amps, Nord amps, and VTV amps. The VTV received some criticisms for their build quality.

That might have been a while back when there were some reported build quality issues, mainly by 1 ASR member iirc. I received my VTV amp about 6 weeks ago and have no issues with its build quality. Got my Buckeye amp last Friday, build quality is also very good.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Oh that is good to hear.

T

Tom Cecc

Audioholic Intern
That might have been a while back when there were some reported build quality issues, mainly by 1 ASR member iirc. I received my VTV amp about 6 weeks ago and have no issues with its build quality. Got my Buckeye amp last Friday, build quality is also very good.
How would you compare the VTV and Buckeye?
I was set on ATI but another member suggested I look into them and Nord and Apollon. They are appealing though I’m unfamiliar with class d technology.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
How would you compare the VTV and Buckeye?
I was set on ATI but another member suggested I look into them and Nord and Apollon. They are appealing though I’m unfamiliar with class d technology.
I plan on starting a separate thread but I have spent enough time on them now to tell you I am happy with both amps. Time permitting I will be opening up the VTV, take some photos and may try and tidy the wiring up if there is a need.

I did open up the case for the Buckeye amp because I have to install a standby switch myself. Buckeye was nice enough to drill out the hole I need for the switch. At first he didn't seem to want to drill the Ghent case that is specifically designed for the NC502MP. After I explained to him that it would be much easier to drill the back plate before the it gets assembled, then he agreed to do it for me.

Overall the Buckeye amp's workmanship is very good. The only minor "issue" is the upside down XLR connector mounts, but it's really a non issue unless you have to move the amp around often. Even then it would just be a minor nuisance rather than a real issue as such.

The Nord and Apollon amps may be better looking and built better (workmanship), other than that I see no reasons for them to perform better. If you looked at their measurements on ASR, they all performed similarly good. Some manufacturers, such as Nord, Apollon, and VTV do offer the options to use different input buffers. To me those are just profit margin added features, though I would agree that they could be a win win for not only the manufacturers but also the buyers who believe such things do offer audibly different sound quality. I know they don't but for those who believe in them, they will likely hear the difference that they anticipated, and hopefully for the better. If not, they could and probably would keep trying for different buffers, until they think they found the sweet one for them.;)

T

Tom Cecc

Audioholic Intern
I plan on starting a separate thread but I have spent enough time on them now to tell you I am happy with both amps. Time permitting I will be opening up the VTV, take some photos and may try and tidy the wiring up if there is a need.

I did open up the case for the Buckeye amp because I have to install a standby switch myself. Buckeye was nice enough to drill out the hole I need for the switch. At first he didn't seem to want to drill the Ghent case that is specifically designed for the NC502MP. After I explained to him that it would be much easier to drill the back plate before the it gets assembled, then he agreed to do it for me.

Overall the Buckeye amp's workmanship is very good. The only minor "issue" is the upside down XLR connector mounts, but it's really a non issue unless you have to move the amp around often. Even then it would just be a minor nuisance rather than a real issue as such.

The Nord and Apollon amps may be better looking and built better (workmanship), other than that I see no reasons for them to perform better. If you looked at their measurements on ASR, they all performed similarly good. Some manufacturers, such as Nord, Apollon, and VTV do offer the options to use different input buffers. To me those are just profit margin added features, though I would agree that they could be a win win for not only the manufacturers but also the buyers who believe such things do offer audibly different sound quality. I know they don't but for those who believe in them, they will likely hear the difference that they anticipated, and hopefully for the better. If not, they could and probably would keep trying for different buffers, until they think they found the sweet one for them.;)
Thanks for the buffer insight. It is confusing since I don’t have a lot of knowledge about them. Just looking at VTV, there is first the choice of Pascal, hypex or Purifi and then 8 different buffer options. I’ve read in some threads the differences regarding Purifi, Pascal and Hypex but the buffer options were confusing. The VTV does look like a good option especially at less than half the price of the ATI that I’ve been considering.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis