G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Since the Denon x3400 has no phono. Should I use the zone2 pre out to another integrated amp or pre amp that does have phono

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd use the pre-amp/integrated before the Denon, if you already have one laying around. Or get a dedicated phono stage and use it on any line input on the Denon.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
What lovin said. You can’t use an output as an input.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Let me re phrase then. What’s the best way to hook up a record player to an existing system that doesn’t have a phono input. The record player has no built in anything. I would like the option for either mm or mc.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Use a dedicated phono stage (aka phono pre-amp) that handles both kinds of cartridges, then you can use any line input on your Denon. What tt are you using?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW seeing as how you have started two new threads for tt and preamp/tt....what about cartridges? Do you want a fully manual tt or a semi-automatic? New or used? Does it need to provide other than 33/45 rpm playback? They'll need to know what cartridge type(s) to recommend a phono stage...

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Yes I am new to vinyl. What gave it away. Lol. I haven’t picked any cartridges either. I want a fully manual player under 700 any suggestions

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Preferably new unless you know of a used one from a reputable person

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm more curious as to why. I still have one (same one last 35 years) but if I were setting up a new system I'd probably bypass vinyl simply not worth it due the amount of money it would require (at least for the way I'd go about it in building a collection up, vinyl's pretty pricey right now). YMMV. You sure this is something you really want to spend some time/money on? Ready to dive in deep to start or want to test the waters more? Just LPs and 45s or you want 78s, too?

There's a lot of activity in some FB groups with older turntables from the height of the time of vinyl; seems to be a regular supply of good used ones hitting the market still. With a little cleaning and lube and love and maybe a new belt or something might be a good way to go. Someone probably out there is a good source of refurbished ones, too. I haven't shopped new or used for a while as I don't need to....pretty sure my tt is going to outlive me at this point :) (Technics SL1200mk2, currently with a Shure M97xE cartridge fwiw). A used one of mine in really good shape can be had in your budget but there's a lot of old dj-used tables that can be a bit beat :). The new Technics releases in the same line are out of your budget ($1500-4000 range IIRC); the upper end Audio Technica clones of mine aren't quite as good but could be a good starter setup. So, no real recommendations on what to get right now or where to shop. Needledoctor.com or lpgear.com come to mind for some stuff vinyl. Audio Technica, Pro-Ject, Rega, Music Hall are mentioned most often in your budget range.

There's certain preferences out there for drive style....direct drive vs belt (mine is one of the best of the direct drive type, was better than many of the belt drive choices at the time for the money if not all of them....IMO :) ). Most of the packages come with decent arms. I suppose some don't include interconnects now, but keep in mind short is better than long when it comes to tt cables due capacitance issues...here's a bit from the AH article "The Truth About Interconnects..." :

There is one application for interconnects where the sound can change radically. This is when connecting between a turntable and associated phono cartridge and your preamp. Use of the lowest possible capacitance you can find is very important, because the inductance of the cartridge coupled with the capacitance of the cable can cause a resonant circuit within the audio band.

Should you end up with just the right (or wrong) capacitance, you may find that an otherwise respected cartridge sounds dreadful, with grossly accentuated high frequency performance. The only way to minimise this is to ensure that the interconnects have very low capacitance, and they must be shielded to prevent hum and noise from being picked up.

You might check out vinylengine.com, a good site for things vinyl. Read up for a while before throwing money at it, tho. Good luck!

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Well put. Vinyl may be something I should look into more especially since most of my music is digital. I would have to source a bunch of vinyl in addition to all the hardware needed. Maybe I should just build a second system dedicated to just music in 2.1 using separates . I am quite pleased with my 7.1.2 and I was thinking about my next upgrade. I am always trying to think what else I can do.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well put. Vinyl may be something I should look into more especially since most of my music is digital. I would have to source a bunch of vinyl in addition to all the hardware needed. Maybe I should just build a second system dedicated to just music in 2.1 using separates . I am quite pleased with my 7.1.2 and I was thinking about my next upgrade. I am always trying to think what else I can do.
Just thought it's worth some thought. Some seek out the inconvenience of vinyl...I've tended to move away from it. At the prices new records command alone (of dubious quality/provenance, too) it's not tempted me to buy any new vinyl for over 20 years now. I have both several multich and 2ch setups but tend not to use the 2ch ones so they're in the least used rooms....but there's always somewhere for a piece of gear to move down the lineup so to speak :) It's a disease! :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis