Recommended HDTV Resolution for connection HTPC?

Saint

Saint

Junior Audioholic
I've got mt HTPC hooked up to my Hitachi 51" RPTV. It has MANY MANY resolutions available.

Depending on the resolution, I get a lot of overscan or underscan. Right now I'm at 1776x1000 because it gives minimal overscan and fills the screen. Movies look great but desktop is virtually un-usable.

What are some good resolutions to try?

Mike McGann

Mike McGann

Audiophyte
Good rule of thumb:

Match the native resolution of the display, if it's a digital device.

If it's a CRT...then it depends on the dot pitch. If it CRT, you have to be getting more than minimal overscan from 7-inch tubes — they max out at about 508 lines of viewable resolution (my guess is that you're at double the screen's resolution, and missing every other line if you using a CRT).

When it comes to CRT, often, less is more.

W

W9TR

Audiophyte
HTPC/1080i

Saint,
Look for sticky post by 'Karnis' titled "Custom Resolution Guide for 1080i HDTV-HTPC-POWERSTRIP-RADEON" in htpc section of avs forum. Most CRT RPTV's are 'native' 1080i, and use internal scalers for other resolutions. So the trick is to feed them a signal from your HTPC that exactly resembles a 1080i HDTV signal. Powerstrip is your friend if you don't have a video card that supports custom resolutions from it's stock drivers.

Regards,

Tom

P.S. I know that CRT's don't really have a 'native resolution' like panel projectors do. It's just that most RPTV's like to be fed standard resolutions.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis