Recommendations on Speaker Cables (and a DVD player)

K

kaseaman

Junior Audioholic
So I am almost done with buying all the necessary compenents to a home theater system. As of right now I have an HK 330 reciever, and Klipsch Reference series 35 all around. I was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions as to what speaker cables and DVD player I should buy. I am looking to spend around $350-$450 for a DVD player and would like it to play DVD-audio and SACD disks. As for speaker cables, I was looking at Cobalt Cables, but I would like to Bi-wire my speakers. Any suggestions

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
It's been shown that biwiring doesn't result in any measurable difference. For cables, you might also want to look at River Cables. Their StarFlex SPX cable scored very well in the Speaker Cable Faceoff II here on Audioholics. Also, you might want to check out Blue Jeans Cable. They sell the Canare 4S11 Star-Quad speaker cable, the same one that River Cable uses in their StarFlex SPX. If you are insistent on bi-wiring, this is also a good choice because it has 4 conductors per cable. The only difference electrically is the appearance. River Cable also uses nicer locking banana plugs. However, you can purchase the bulk cable from Blue Jeans Cable and terminate it yourself. If you want to get some nice spades or bananas, check out Parts Express. Here's a direct link to a nice banana plug. Keep in mind that's only one, they also sell the other color, but it's a separate item that you'll have to find. Also, Cobalt Cable sells their banana plugs which are also nice and would work well.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
kaseaman said:
So I am almost done with buying all the necessary compenents to a home theater system. As of right now I have an HK 330 reciever, and Klipsch Reference series 35 all around. I was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions as to what speaker cables and DVD player I should buy. I am looking to spend around $350-$450 for a DVD player and would like it to play DVD-audio and SACD disks. As for speaker cables, I was looking at Cobalt Cables, but I would like to Bi-wire my speakers. Any suggestions

Or, you can check out Home Depot for speaker cables and their low voltage landscape wire, about $.30/ft or less, for 12ga -14ga.

K

kaseaman

Junior Audioholic
Thanks you guys, that really helps. I am a frosh in college so money is a huge issue for me, but I also want my Klipsch speakers to sound as best as they can. Another quick question, what kind of terminations would you suggest, Spades or Bananas?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Bananas

kaseaman said:
Thanks you guys, that really helps. I am a frosh in college so money is a huge issue for me, but I also want my Klipsch speakers to sound as best as they can. Another quick question, what kind of terminations would you suggest, Spades or Bananas?
Since they don't affect the sound at all, go for the convenience of bananas.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
kaseaman said:
Thanks you guys, that really helps. I am a frosh in college so money is a huge issue for me, but I also want my Klipsch speakers to sound as best as they can.
Then go for the low voltage landscape wire :)

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, if you're just a poor college student (w00t, me too!) you could just get some good cheap Sound King cable. It's zip cord, but if you check out the Speaker Cable Faceoff 1 you can see that it did very well. There's also the Speaker Cable Faceoff 2 that compares more cables. If you're feeling rambunctious, you can compare numbers. Either way though, Zip Cord does very well. If you want to get some 10 AWG Sound King (the kind measured in the faceoff), here's a link to Parts Express. They also sell 50' and 250' rolls. But yeah, bananas would work well. Just check out the links from my last post.

Also, if you're looking into buying interconnects and stuff, check out my thread. It'll give you a little money-saving insight! Wow, I impress myself with my shameless self-promotion.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
you might try accessories4less.com for the bits & pieces or the guys at impactacoustics.com have really great prices on quality ready-mades.

if you don't plan on moving your system around alot, spades give a little better connection. bananas are alot more convenient.

you also might read mudcat's article on DIY cables. He tried a lot of different set-ups and has some great information.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5046

K

kaseaman

Junior Audioholic
so it looks like Ill be getting the Bananas for termination for their convenience, just because I WILL be moving around a ton. It seems you can save good money by terminating the speaker cables yourself which is nice to know becasue the more money I save the better!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis