Recommendations for small sub 25 HZ < $600

E

Eric Apple

Junior Audioholic
I've been trying out a Onix UFW-10 that's rated to -2db @ 25hz. So far it's not even close to my ML Grotto at 25hz which is also a 10" single driver in a small package. Forget about anything lower then that with the UFW. But the grotto keeps going down well below 25 (at 25 there's not much drop at all).

I've done enough testing with the UFW and playing to realize it's just not gonna get to 25 with anything usable. It's an easy 10 db drop from 30 to 25.

My goal was to keep around $600 and not pick up another grotto. So I am wondering, if I got a bad ufw - I don't really want to pay a $40 shipping charge to find out that's not the case. After all the review here while giving high marks to UFW, states around 30hz is about it.

Since specs don't seem to tell the story, I am wondering what other people here have found and verified subwise that:

1) Is smallish, about 13" square footprint or less
2) No taller then say about 19"
3) Really hits 25 hz @ 3db or so down without eq
4) Good musical ability (ie. tight and +/- 3db freq resp 25 - 100 hz)
4) Cost $600 or less

This is easy to do for $1,100 or less, just want to do it for about half of that.

Thanks

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
svs hsu

Svs pb 10 will hit 19hz +/-1dB. Its a little bigger then 13inch suarefoot footprint (ok alot bigger), its 19inches high, its musical from what I have read, and its 430 US.

An HSU STF 2 or even an STF 3 would also fit the bill. RJbudz has an STF 3 and had an STF 1 and he said they are both exceptional subwoofers. The STF 1 won't hit 25hz , but the STF2 and 3 will. The STF 3 being 599, and STF 2 at 399, you can't go wrong with either.

sheep

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
It depends on what you want to trade off on that size requirement. The Hsu STF-2 ($399) will get you there with ease, as will the SVS PB10 ($429). The Hsu is smaller and cheaper, but won't dig quite as deep as the SVS...but 25 is no problem for either model. If you're really into music, there would be no better fit to your requirements IMHO than the Hsu VTF-2 ($499). There are smaller subs out there but I don't think they would meet your expectations of either price or quality performance. Incidentally, the STF-1 ($299) does meet your footprint requirements, and will hit 25hz, but it's falling off steeply at that point. Spl's might be lacking for HT with this one, though.

Here are the two sites.....

http://www.hsuresearch.com/

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_cylinders.htm

Happy sub hunting. (The capture is always good, too! ;) )

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Eric Apple said:
1) Is smallish, about 13" square footprint or less
2) No taller then say about 19"
3) Really hits 25 hz @ 3db or so down without eq
4) Good musical ability (ie. tight and +/- 3db freq resp 25 - 100 hz)
4) Cost $600 or less

This is easy to do for $1,100 or less, just want to do it for about half of that.

Thanks
I don't think that exists at the price. The SVS will go that low, but it's huge. The Dayton 12" MKIII is a 17" cube, so it's too big. The Cadence only goes down to 28Hz. I'd spend the money and get another ML. ;)

E

Eric Apple

Junior Audioholic
Thanks

Looks like I've got a lot of different subs to check out - thanks for sharing experience with the subs. I've crossed a lot off the list based on size. The WAF on the onix really got a sigh when I said sending it back. Seems that I need to do some color prints and see if I can get something kind of close in the pretty part - at least not a black box.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
That leaves my recommendation out..the new LFM-2. It meets the req's, but it's a black box :(

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
jaxvon said:
That leaves my recommendation out..the new LFM-2. It meets the req's, but it's a black box :(
I guess he has never heard of paint :) Anyhow, yeah paint it to match your decor :confused:

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
brian32672 said:
I guess he has never heard of paint :) Anyhow, yeah paint it to match your decor :confused:

....or maybe we have here a candidate for those eyeball speakers in multi-colored metal. What were they...oh yeah, the O R Bs. :eek:

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
rjbudz said:
....or maybe we have here a candidate for those eyeball speakers in multi-colored metal. What were they...oh yeah, the O R Bs. :eek:
Thats funny... :)

brian32672 said:

Anyhow, I was serious on the painting. I am not saying go ahead and get out the 9" roller and paint it with latex. I was a yacht painter. My brother still is. And we always took on side jobs, we would do it for a decent price for you to have it sprayed professionaly. Heck it cost me about 40.00 to paint my computer. It has 3 coats of Imron on the outside (2 coats Blue Metallic 1 coat of clear) and on the inside is 2 coats of Awlgrip (Snow White). Granted the amount of time and paint I had personally put into it would be about a 300.00 job (these super pro paints, do not need to be used for a lasting finish; meaning others can be used, that are cheaper). But it can be done. BTW, Awlgrip is a (epoxy based paint) that is used for boats and aircraft. So on a car, computer, and in this case a sub - it would last longer than the components. I'm not saying run out and have it painted with Awlgrip, but it can be painted professionaly with any finish/color that you would like. Whether you want a gloss/satin/flat finish. And done correctly for a gloss finish, it would look like glass in any color. (Epoxy based, polyureathane based, enamel based, etc..)

Or if a true color match is wanted, it could also be gel-coated. And this as well would last years beyond the components. And if it gets scratches, they will buff out and look like new. Even 10 years down the line...

However, I'm just rambling......... :rolleyes:

T

Tom Vodhanel

Manufacturer
With the new SPL-r series coming, the older SPLii series is on "closeout" in some locals. I think I've seen the spl1200 in the 699 range(?) lately. It should be okay down to 25hz...and it is relatively small.

Tom V.
SVS

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
The Cadence only goes down to 28Hz. ;)
??? :confused: Not to put the Cadence in the same class, but I thought the dropoff was at 25hz from craigsub's numbers. Are there others out there?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Velodyne HGS-10? VERY small, but still has good output. There's one in the classified area here.

Ron Temple said:
??? :confused: Not to put the Cadence in the same class, but I thought the dropoff was at 25hz from craigsub's numbers. Are there others out there?
Yeah, the review showed it still had pretty good output at 25Hz and dropped off pretty steeply after that. TWO of them should be pretty good and right around $600.

Last edited:
brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Hmm, this may be what your after...

Quote from Clint on the 10" Energy..

Post #11 here http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?p=97990#post97990
Clint DeBoer said:
We saw the new Energy subs today. 3 versions 8", 10", 12". We'll post the info later, but the middle sub boasts flat response down to 23-24Hz and the interior volume is increased by 30% due to the use of the flat driver.

Also, the connections and amp are on the bottom so the lines of the sub are very clean all around. The controls are mounted on one side near the top.

Nice overall.
Although being a new model, the price may be inflated....

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, that new energy is 1200ish. The older energy (S10.3) goes to 21hz(don't if true, but its goes low) 200rms,800peak, and its 620 CAD. I would recommend that one.

sheep

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis