Recommendations for Home Theater Receiver

G

GR2324

Enthusiast
I have a just purchased a speaker system off of Audiogon for setting up a home theater.

The mains are RBH FM 45's The center and surrounds are RBH C4 LCR's. I currently won't be going with a sub. I am told the the dual 8" woofers in the base of the 45's will be a good start and possibly bi-amping them would help.

I have been following many discussion forums for quite some time on Audioholics and now I have found a reason to participate.

G

GR2324

Enthusiast
Thanks for the info sholling. Any one else have any other ideas so I can do some comparisons

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Pioneer VSX-21TXH Elite would also be good option

http://powersellernyc.com/product/view/Pioneer-VSX21TXH-Elite-AV-Receiver-24855.html

Thou it lacks official THX certification, it might in fact be better then Onkyo who's recently is known to be naughty in crime of under-powering amps of their lower/mid models line-up.

Thou I have Onkyo AVR myself and I love it, however I think 805 is big exception to the rule, at 51lbs is very different then current about 30lbs models. This model was made to top dog and priced as underdog to kill the current competition.

Btw: What's your budget for AVR?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I don't think that Audiohlics gives a product of the year award to underamped products. The TX-SR707 was awarded a product of the year award. In my experience the little 90w TX-SR606's amplifier section kicks butt on "more powerful" competition like Pioneer's "110w" VSX-10xx series.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't think that Audiohlics gives a product of the year award to underamped products. The TX-SR707 was awarded a product of the year award. In my experience the little 90w TX-SR606's amplifier section kicks butt on "more powerful" competition like Pioneer's "110w" VSX-10xx series.
*Cought* *Cought* ELITE VSX-21TXH *Cought* *Cought*

From VSX-21TXH Specs....
Surround Power 110W x 7 (20Hz - 20kHz, .09% THD @ 8 ohms, All Channels Driven)
Want to bet 707 can't do it? Most Onkyo's (707 included) rated at 2ch Driven.....

p.s: Amp in VSX-10xx series rated 1Khz for a reason....

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja

From VSX-21TXH Specs....

Want to bet 707 can't do it? Most Onkyo's (707 included) rated at 2ch Driven.....

I think the performance is likely to be pretty close. In my experience Pioneer tends to be optimistic in their power ratings. I also prefer Audyssey to Pioneer's system. But if you can get it from a factory authorized dealer for the same price.

Last edited:
G

GR2324

Enthusiast
Probably in the $700 to $800 range. Would even be willing to look at used or demo equipment from legitimate sources.

D

Drifter

Audioholic Intern
Probably in the $700 to $800 range. Would even be willing to look at used or demo equipment from legitimate sources.
You might consider a used Yamaha DSP A1. There is one currently on ebay for under $300.00. There are others also, but are asking a lot more. Read the reviews on the DSP A1. This is a world-class integrated home theater amp. It would be worth while to search far and wide for a good clean DSP A1.

G

GR2324

Enthusiast
You might consider a used Yamaha DSP A1. There is one currently on ebay for under $300.00. There are others also, but are asking a lot more. Read the reviews on the DSP A1. This is a world-class integrated home theater amp. It would be worth while to search far and wide for a good clean DSP A1.
That is something to consider.

I'm thinking newer with possibly HDMI connectivity.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja

From VSX-21TXH Specs....

The 707 has a power consumption of 600W whereas the 21 is 400W. You do the math :p

G

GR2324

Enthusiast
I am currently considering a denon 3808 or 2310. Any opinions?

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I am currently considering a denon 3808 or 2310. Any opinions?
The Denon 2310 is an excellent receiver. Great amp section, Audyssey MultEQ, ABT video chip and reliable. The only thing really missing is full preouts.

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
That is heck of an AVR for that price.

I would just use your credit card in case you do get screwed.

G

GR2324

Enthusiast
Thanks, already have speakers. Looking for Home Theater Receiver Advice.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
ecost.com has killer prices on refurbished denon receivers, if you can catch them in stock.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis