Recommendations for 5.1 system for Family Room

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
I will have 75" - 80" TV in family room.

Thinking of Denon AVR- S540BT receiver or any other decent AVR in same price range or cheaper.

Would appreciate recommendations for 5.1 system. Economically priced as will have separate media room. It would be great if it could be in wall or in ceiling.

Hoping if can get good deal on TV and 5.1 system during July 4th or Labor day sale.
Thanks.

F

flippo

Full Audioholic
For budget speaker pkg (minus sub) the Jamo hcs 803 has gotten a lot of praise

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Economically priced is different for everyone. An actual number is not.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Here's an article from last year:
I think they did another one too, but can't find it right now.

Russdawg is right: what is your budget? That will determine so much.

@shadyJ is also really good at making some recommendations for good quality, budget friendly speakers. :)

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
Family Room is 14' x 16' and opens into living room/kitchen

Will below $1000 be reasonable budget?

I saw Klipsch Black Reference Theater Pack 5.1 surround system for 449 but don't know how good it is

I like in wall and in ceiling as room looks clean. Not sure if they will come in my budget.

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
Other thing I can do is put 2 Revel C263 (~260 for a pair) in ceiling speakers in the back of the room and get a sound bar to make it 5.1?!!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Don't bother with a soundbar, they are better than the TV speakers, but not much else.

At your budget going in wall or in ceiling is really going to limit you. Good in wall and in ceiling models tend to cost more than an equivalent floorstander or bookshelf would.

I'd recommend grabbing these Infinity speakers while they're on sale (263's for your fronts and the 152's for surrounds) and waiting for the RC263 center to be back in stock and on sale. These will blow away any similarly priced in wall/ceiling speakers you might find:

https://www.harmanaudio.com/infinity/REFERENCE+263.html?dwvar_REFERENCE 263_color=Black-USA-Current&cgid=infinity

https://www.harmanaudio.com/infinity/REFERENCE+152.html?dwvar_REFERENCE 152_color=Black-USA-Current&cgid=infinity

A pair of each of those speakers puts you at $535 and if you can grab the center when it comes back on sale for $200-250 you'll have a killer budget system.

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
Don't bother with a soundbar, they are better than the TV speakers, but not much else.

At your budget going in wall or in ceiling is really going to limit you. Good in wall and in ceiling models tend to cost more than an equivalent floorstander or bookshelf would.

I'd recommend grabbing these Infinity speakers while they're on sale (263's for your fronts and the 152's for surrounds) and waiting for the RC263 center to be back in stock and on sale. These will blow away any similarly priced in wall/ceiling speakers you might find:

https://www.harmanaudio.com/infinity/REFERENCE+263.html?dwvar_REFERENCE 263_color=Black-USA-Current&cgid=infinity

https://www.harmanaudio.com/infinity/REFERENCE+152.html?dwvar_REFERENCE 152_color=Black-USA-Current&cgid=infinity

A pair of each of those speakers puts you at $535 and if you can grab the center when it comes back on sale for $200-250 you'll have a killer budget system.
What about the below. It's on sale.

I understand floor standing will be on floor but back speakers where do they go? I have no book shelves in the back to place them.

Can I use Revel C263 x2 for surround speakers? A friend of mine said he can get it for 225 a pair.

No subwoofer?

Last edited:
R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
You could do 5x C283’s for $1000.

Just need to find a dealer that’ll give you 20% off. Not hard at all.

25% and you are in C363 territory.

Edit: Scratch that, didn’t realize you needed a subwoofer within that $1000 budget.

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
You could do 5x C283’s for $1000.

Just need to find a dealer that’ll give you 20% off. Not hard at all.

25% and you are in C363 territory.

Edit: Scratch that, didn’t realize you needed a subwoofer within that $1000 budget.
I listened to both Revel C263 and C283 but I personally could not notice the difference.

One of my friends said he can get me Revel C263 for 225 a pair.

I can do C263 5x but then they go in ceiling - will they sound as good as in wall speakers? And I will need subwoofer.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I listened to both Revel C263 and C283 but I personally could not notice the difference.

One of my friends said he can get me Revel C263 for 225 a pair.

I can do C263 5x but then they go in ceiling - will they sound as good as in wall speakers? And I will need subwoofer.
In ceiling speakers will sound like in ceiling speakers, out and above you.

In walls will sound like in walls, in front of you.

All depends on what you need and your expectations.

They will have good sound quality as they are Revel products, but don’t expect magic from them.

225/pr for C263’s is 36% off or so. That’s pretty good.

Leaves you with $300-$400 for a sub so you got plenty of options.

If the Infinity sub is still on sale you can have a 5.2 setup at a pretty good price and can’t really be matched by much in this price bracket.

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
In ceiling speakers will sound like in ceiling speakers, out and above you.

In walls will sound like in walls, in front of you.

All depends on what you need and your expectations.

They will have good sound quality as they are Revel products, but don’t expect magic from them.

225/pr for C263’s is 36% off or so. That’s pretty good.

Leaves you with $300-$400 for a sub so you got plenty of options.

If the Infinity sub is still on sale you can have a 5.2 setup at a pretty good price and can’t really be matched by much in this price bracket.
I have never experienced all 5 in ceiling? Wonder how real will it sound vs from speakers in wall or on flor - may be they will sound as if they are coming out from TV

Should I go with all Revel C263 x 5 or should I go with Revel C263x2 for surround in back, Infinity Reference 263 x 2, Center speaker - Reference RC263 is sold out but RC252 is available , Reference Sub R12 x 1 (on sale).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
No. In-ceiling speakers will not sound like they are coming from the TV. You would need one helluva a talent for suspension of disbelief to pull that off.

However, it is your home; your system.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
What about the below. It's on sale.

I understand floor standing will be on floor but back speakers where do they go? I have no book shelves in the back to place them.

Can I use Revel C263 x2 for surround speakers? A friend of mine said he can get it for 225 a pair.

No subwoofer?

I'd personally rather have a 3 way center than a 2 way center. I'd just go phantom center channel until the 3 way center is on sale. Back speakers can be placed on speaker stands, or you could do like I've done and just hang some NHT super zeros from the ceiling using ceiling mounted omni-mounts. Super zeros will run you about $200 a pair and the mounts about $20 or so.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I have never experienced all 5 in ceiling? Wonder how real will it sound vs from speakers in wall or on flor - may be they will sound as if they are coming out from TV

Should I go with all Revel C263 x 5 or should I go with Revel C263x2 for surround in back, Infinity Reference 263 x 2, Center speaker - Reference RC263 is sold out but RC252 is available , Reference Sub R12 x 1 (on sale).
No way having all in ceiling speakers will sound like it's coming form the TV. I can't even imagine that it would sound good. I'd want to keep the front 3 at least on the floor or (as a last resort) in the wall.

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
I have Acoustimass 3 series either IV or V speaker system - 2 cube shaped speakers and 1 acoustic mass module. I have 2 sets so total of 4 speakers and 2 acoustic mass module. My spouse wants me to buy a center channel speaker and use these old speakers to make 5.2 system. I don't know how good they will sound

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Do yourself a favor and throw the Bose stuff out, it's garbage and isn't made to integrate with anything else.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis