Recommendations appreciated

K

Kuroda

Audiophyte
Hi, I'm interested in upgrading my sound system. I don't want anything too fancy seeing as I can only do so much in this tiny apartment. I have never little knowledge on audio systems so you'll have to bear with me. Currently its as bare bones as it can get. I use a 42" LG 1080p TV with my 360, PS3 and PC. I use the TV's speakers to output any audio. I game in HD on the two systems and watch blurays and DVDs on the PS3 (old fat model). Obtaining better audio quality is more important to me than volume or bass. HD audio would be nice but I'm not entirely sure what components I would need (speakers, amps, recievers its all confusing). My living room is 3.5m by 5.0m and is exposed to the kitchen. I live in Canada and I prefer to buy instore rather than online.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Need a little more info.
1)what is your budget?
2)what type of setup 7.1,5.1,3.1,2.1?

Last edited:
K

Kuroda

Audiophyte
I'd rather not exceed $1000 CAD.

My couch is backed up against a wall so I cannot setup any speakers behind it. Therefore 5.1 seems to be the right choice. One question though, can I still get DTS HD audio through 5.1? I have Rambo on Bluray which has 7.1 DTS HD Master Audio but I don't have room for all seven speakers.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I have been looking around online for some stores in Canada, since you didn't say what part your from I looked into Big Box stores like future shop and best buy Canada since they have a lot of locations through out Canada.I have to admit I'm disappointed in their limited options. I will do my best to find some options for you. And to your 2nd question yes.

K

Kuroda

Audiophyte
Thanks for the quick reply. Western Canada, Alberta to be specific. BB and FS were the first places I looked and I agree the selection was pathetic and the employees less than helpful.

EDIT: Visions is another retailer but there selection is not much better.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Well it looks like there is not much to choose from at these places,it's unfair for the stuff that is available it's price higher in Canada than in the U.S. even after the exchange rate. Well it looks like we are running out of options here for you to buy local unless some other member from Canada can jump in and help out.

K

Kuroda

Audiophyte
That's unfortunate. Let's pretend I live in the USA and could buy anywhere online. What would you recommend? There are a few local stores in my area I can go to but I'd like to generally know what I'm looking for specs-wise.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the quick reply. Western Canada, Alberta to be specific.
Here is Canuck Audio, filtered with "classifieds", "speakers", "for sale", and "Alberta".

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/classifieds/speakers/3?filter=FOR+SALE&province=AB&price=All

A couple I notice include the MA RS1 for $425. The big brother RS6 was one of the most popular at its price point. If there were any complaints, some thought of it as a bit bright.

Another I notice is the Quad 22L. The red alarm here is that payment is requested via money order (where the RS1 above could be that, or paypal, or cash). I've heard this speaker. It is quite short for a "tower" which could mean that tweeter placement is too low respective to you, depending. The finish is very nice, particularly considering the price point. I found the sonic personality to be warm, pleasant, unoffensive, but perhaps veiled.

There is also Energy RS30, but I have nothing to offer here specifically, except that I know this brand is a good value. I cannot say if this deal if of particularly good value. $620.

There is also a pair of Paradigm Reference Studio 40 V2 in rosenut for $600.

OH CRAP. I just realized this is for 5.1. Ummm . . . .

Anyways, good luck.

K

Kuroda

Audiophyte
Thanks for the replies. Now I understand what I'm looking for.

A

Assaf09

Enthusiast
Polk Audio

For great audio quality. especially for gaming i would try polk out. go to your nearest futureshop dealership and look for amazing bundles around boxing day. you can get a a nice 5.1 polk audio setup for under 1000$ canadian!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi, I'm interested in upgrading my sound system. I don't want anything too fancy seeing as I can only do so much in this tiny apartment. I have never little knowledge on audio systems so you'll have to bear with me. Currently its as bare bones as it can get. I use a 42" LG 1080p TV with my 360, PS3 and PC. I use the TV's speakers to output any audio. I game in HD on the two systems and watch blurays and DVDs on the PS3 (old fat model). Obtaining better audio quality is more important to me than volume or bass. HD audio would be nice but I'm not entirely sure what components I would need (speakers, amps, recievers its all confusing). My living room is 3.5m by 5.0m and is exposed to the kitchen. I live in Canada and I prefer to buy instore rather than online.
Hey fellow Canuck Are you near Calgary, Edmonton, or Lethbridge? I would check out the audio shops and only use Futur Shop and Best Buy as your last resort. Speaker brands to audition are PSB, Paradigm, Energy which are all Canadian speakers.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not a fan of Klipch speakers.

This model of Yamaha can be had at futur price for the same price as the Sony listed but only on boxing day and they go really quickly. Its a much better eceiver than the Sony.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dm=DEBUG&sku_id=0665000FS10109430&catid=

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Check SVS and Onkyo

Hey fellow Canuck Are you near Calgary, Edmonton, or Lethbridge? I would check out the audio shops and only use Futur Shop and Best Buy as your last resort. Speaker brands to audition are PSB, Paradigm, Energy which are all Canadian speakers.
3dbmakes some good points and mentions some very good speaker brands to look at. I looked at the Futur Shop and didn't really like any of their choices. Can you get SVS there ? the make a good HTIB that is about your budget, the SVS- SBS 01 http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm
Onkyo HTIB would be another choice.

Peace and Good Sound!

Forest man

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
S

Stereoguy

Audioholic
Take a Look at Axiom's

Hi: I own their M-60's,VP-150 center, look at either the M-22's or the other bookshelves that they offer.You should be able to put together a good system.As already mentioned PSB or Paradigm is always a great choice.Good Luck,happy shopping

K

Kuroda

Audiophyte
I live in Edmonton. Any audio shops you can recommend?

*Whats the difference b/w the Sony and Yamaha besides the obvious prices? I've seen the FS Boxing Day flyer and they have the Sony on sale but I didn't see the Yamaha in there.

Last edited:
T

Tiguron

Audioholic Intern
I think the only Yamaha that is listed at FS for boxing day is the 6290 for $699. It is a great receiver, but overkill for you. Another option is the Pioneer 1019. I think Best Buy will have it for $399 CDN on boxing day.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I think the only Yamaha that is listed at FS for boxing day is the 6290 for $699. It is a great receiver, but overkill for you. Another option is the Pioneer 1019. I think Best Buy will have it for $399 CDN on boxing day.
Only over kill until he buys his 1st home. Then he'd wish he had something with a lot more oomph. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis