Recommendation please

J

jlahk

Audioholic Intern
If you're looking for a 50" 720p plamsa, I'd recommend the Panasonic commercial version. At the store below (which I haven't used so don't have an opinion of itself), the unit lists at $1405. Beware that the commercial versions don't have speakers or a tuner, which shouldn't matter if you have a cable box and a separate audio system. There are also limited connections on the Panasonic commercial version, but you can swap out terminal boards (which will cost you additional $$ depending on what inputs you need). Overall, I've been much more pleased with the Panasonics than the Samsung plasmas.

http://www.visualapex.com/plasma/Plasma_details.asp?VA=Panasonic&chPartNumber=TH-50PH10UKA

E

EddieG

Audioholic
is this to replace the panasonic plasma you already have?
Hm...I change my sig after I bought the panny, which was AFTER this post...I guess my sig was changed on all of my posts prior to when I made the sig change.

So, disregard this thread.
:)

J

jlahk

Audioholic Intern
Hm...I change my sig after I bought the panny, which was AFTER this post...I guess my sig was changed on all of my posts prior to when I made the sig change.

So, disregard this thread.
:)
so much for my first effort at actually providing advice.

pcefrog

pcefrog

Junior Audioholic
Samsung

i bought a 50" samsung plasma last year...i like it alot...just remember plasma will get screen burn..so you cant play video games and you should watch most channels in widescreen or HD.

annunaki

annunaki

i bought a 50" samsung plasma last year...i like it alot...just remember plasma will get screen burn..so you cant play video games and you should watch most channels in widescreen or HD.

Have you been living under a rock??? :)

Well made plasmas have no burn in issues any more. Some may have slight image retention but no burn in unless it is really cheaply made.

Be sure to turn the "burn in protection" on in the setup menu of your Samsung plasma. Why this feature is even selectable in the menu is beyond me. :rolleyes:

In any case, the OP has already purchased a Panasonic.

J

jlahk

Audioholic Intern
Have you been living under a rock??? :)

Well made plasmas have no burn in issues any more. Some may have slight image retention but no burn in unless it is really cheaply made.
What's the distinction between "image retention" and "burn in"?

E

EddieG

Audioholic
What is with video games and burn in? I can see it with the old arcade games like pac man and donkey kong where most of the image is on the screen, but don't todays video games have much more movement all around?

J

jlahk

Audioholic Intern
What is with video games and burn in? I can see it with the old arcade games like pac man and donkey kong where most of the image is on the screen, but don't todays video games have much more movement all around?
They do, but they also often have static elements in the corners of the screen. Like in shooters where the player's health, available weapons, etc. are displayed constantly on the bottom of the screen. Those are what could possibly cause burn in--if anything could.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis