Recommendation on Quantity, Size, Brand, Model

J

jandre

Audiophyte
Music only
Speakers - Kef R11 or GoldenEar Triton 2+
Room size - 23’x23’ with 13’ ceilings.
Unique aspect of room - It will have 10” thick, 14’x10’ foam on the floor (for use as a crash pad for climbing training). Mentioning in case this has an effect on sound.
Type of music I listen to - Hip hop, Rock, Alternative

I’m partial to SVS and leaning toward 2 subs. But I’m curious what size/model people think I need. Open to other brands if you feel strongly about alternatives.

Budget is about $2K. But I also want to know if that’s not enough.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
That's a fairly large space, and it appears it isn't a dedicated listening space. (ie, you'll be moving throughout it.) I'd recommend the following:

If you want to stick with SVS then two PB or PC 2000's should suit you just fine and run you $2.1k.

If you're open to other brands, two Hsu VTF-3 MK5's will also work for you and with shipping come in at $2.2k

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What does music only mean in terms of desired frequency response? Music varies....altho some consider above 40hz most important for "music". Doesn't do much good for a 16hz pipe organ, tho.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I wouldn't go lower than two SVS PB-2000 Pros or PC-2000 Pros if you wanted to stick with SVS. Monoprice has the Monolith 12" THX Ultras as another great choice in that price range. Outlaw Audio has the Ultra-X12, another good one. The Hsu VTF-3 mk5s are worth the extra coin if you can up your budget a bit.

J

jandre

Audiophyte
Thanks y’all. Curious why Ported recommendations? SVS recommends Sealed (e.g. SB-2000, etc) for music I believe.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The difference between SVS's ported and sealed subs is simply that the ported subs can play deep bass a whole lot better. The sealed subs are not better for music. That is just an angle that SVS uses to sell them. Their only strength is that they are smaller and a bit cheaper.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks y’all. Curious why Ported recommendations? SVS recommends Sealed (e.g. SB-2000, etc) for music I believe.
Ported is just as good for music as sealed, and in your use case (hip hop, large room) the extra bass extension over sealed will be of benefit/use.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis