Recommend a system $3k-4k

T

timmay8612

Audioholic
Hi all, been a long time since I've been on the forum. I check back periodically to see what's new or read a blu-ray review, but I've been in school, so gear purchases have been zero for me.

My dad approached me over the weekend to ask me to spec out a system for him. He ideally wants to spend no more than $3k, but is willing to go up to $4k if needed. The system will be multimedia in nature in his family/great room. I'm guessing on dimensions, though nobody over there is a critical listener. Approximately 15' w x 25' long. The ceilings where the system will live are vaulted, probably 10 ft at peak. 8 foot ceilings in the rest of the space. Space is also open to several hallways. Read huge space to fill with laminate and tile throughout. The immediate room contains many bookshelves, couches, chairs, and such, but has the laminate floor. Kitchen/dining is adjacent with counter tops, table, and tile. Following adjacent room widely open to the space has carpet and other soft items. It's a HUGE rectangle.

Use will be 60% TV dramas/football, 20% various movies, 20% vinyl and CDs. He will need a receiver, blu ray, and speakers. Initially he wanted full range speakers and was open to a sub. His hearing is a bit bad, but he wants something that sounds good (former musician). I discussed with him that a center channel may help him to perceive dialogue more clearly and give him more independent control and he is open to this idea. Surrounds are unnecessary at this time. He is open to a sub and has seen my SVS PC-12 NSD - he isn't opposed to the black hot water heater necessarily if needed.

Concerns - the room is large. What can I recommend that will reproduce full range for music, can keep up with the room efficiently, and stay within budget? Also, AVR's with phono inputs?

Thanks folks!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Concerns - the room is large.
The important thing is the distance from the seat to the speakers. It's the same way with outdoor venues.

If he will be siting 10-12 FT away from the speakers, then it's not much to be concerned about.

I think a dedicated Center is definitely good since the Center Dialogue is the salient channel.

I would boost the Center Speaker level by +4dB or +5dB.

I don't think he needs the L/R or other speakers to be very loud. Salient thing is that clear dialogue.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
His hearing is a bit bad, but he wants something that sounds good...
That can be tough to weigh. Loud enough to hear, but not too loud that it will further damage his hearing.

For AVR, my first choice would be a new Yamaha RX-A2070 for about $1K. My rationale is that I believe Yamaha is #1 in reliability and HDMI-compatibility.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-AVENTAGE-Audio-Component-RX-A2070BL/dp/B06ZXXJFMJ/ref=sr_1_18?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1544464905&sr=1-18&keywords=Yamaha+receiver

T

timmay8612

Audioholic
That can be tough to weigh. Loud enough to hear, but not too loud that it will further damage his hearing.

For AVR, my first choice would be a new Yamaha RX-A2070 for about $1K. My rationale is that I believe Yamaha is #1 in reliability and HDMI-compatibility.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-AVENTAGE-Audio-Component-RX-A2070BL/dp/B06ZXXJFMJ/ref=sr_1_18?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1544464905&sr=1-18&keywords=Yamaha+receiver
Thanks for the recommendation. Most of the seats are approximately 8-12' feet from where speakers will be placed. Of course casual listening will happen throughout the room for music and such. I've seen first hand how difficult it can be for hard of hearing folks to handle HTIB systems that lack independent control over the center channel to boost dialogue. Subtitle city.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The room size will only really affect bass, especially the subwoofers if you go that route.
I would urge that you define your AVR needs first and foremost.
Do you want the ability to possibly add full surround and Atmos? (Requiring 9-11 channels of processing vs just 5.x for L/C/R speakers, possible surrounds, and possible subwoofers.)
Do you want it to be fully upgraded for 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, etc?
How many and what type of inputs? (consider if you'll be using the digital coax or toslink connections)
Do you want pre-outs for possibly using an external amplifier.

Yamaha, Onkyo, Sony, Denon are the AVRs that come to mind for potential affordability and usability in the situation you described. You should be able to get something good for 500-1000 depending on how you define your needs.

If you want UHD 4k Dolby Vision blue ray... I like the Sony 700x.

Start there, worry about speakers after you define and narrow your AVR selection.

Cheers

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the recommendation. Most of the seats are approximately 8-12' feet from where speakers will be placed. Of course casual listening will happen throughout the room for music and such. I've seen first hand how difficult it can be for hard of hearing folks to handle HTIB systems that lack independent control over the center channel to boost dialogue. Subtitle city.
I love subtitles regardless. :D

Yeah, definitely boost that Center Channel Level for your dad.

T

timmay8612

Audioholic
The room size will only really affect bass, especially the subwoofers if you go that route.
I would urge that you define your AVR needs first and foremost.
Do you want the ability to possibly add full surround and Atmos? (Requiring 9-11 channels of processing vs just 5.x for L/C/R speakers, possible surrounds, and possible subwoofers.)
Do you want it to be fully upgraded for 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, etc?
How many and what type of inputs? (consider if you'll be using the digital coax or toslink connections)
Do you want pre-outs for possibly using an external amplifier.

Yamaha, Onkyo, Sony, Denon are the AVRs that come to mind for potential affordability and usability in the situation you described. You should be able to get something good for 500-1000 depending on how you define your needs.

If you want UHD 4k Dolby Vision blue ray... I like the Sony 700x.

Start there, worry about speakers after you define and narrow your AVR selection.

Cheers
No atmos needed. It's possible he will upgrade to 5.1 in the future, but at this point the focus is on quality fronts, evaluating the need for a sub given the room size, an AVR that fits the bill, and a blu-ray player.

My dad doesn't even know what 4k is, much less care. He is still watching DVDs. The only HD he watches is whatever comes over the satellite during football season. Pre-outs aren't necessary unless the best speakers for the job required an external amp (doubtful this is the case?).

Inputs will be a blu-ray player, a satellite box, and a turntable. My dad is exceptionally low-tech. He won't stream media, network his receiver, play music with his phone, nada. I'm presuming HDMI connections from BDP to AVR and HDMI from satellite box to AVR. Pretty straightforward.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So you're on the way...
5.1 or 5.2 AVR, highest level of video capability not necessary (but you should still consider if the price is right). Do confirm that your options have the phono capability you require.

Pick a few out and bring them up here. Most of us don't like telling what ou should buy, but we'll gladly help you weigh the options!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You can always add a separate phono pre-amp to an avr that doesn't have such built in. Mostly phono inputs on avrs are limited to the upper end/flagship models these days...

T

timmay8612

Audioholic
What kind of TV does or will he have?
He already has a display he is happy with. To be honest, I'm not sure what it is. A recently acquired 55 or 60" of some kind that I wasn't consulted on, go figure.

Correct me if I'm going backwards, but at the moment, here is what I'm looking at. Eager to hear your recommendations otherwise.

Paradigm Studio 60 v. 5 L/R available locally - $1350
Paradigm Studio CC 590 v.5 available locally - $650
SVS SB 2000 - $700
Pioneer Elite VSX - LX302 - $400
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZMVT8M/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B06ZZMVT8M&pd_rd_w=QN5Bm&pf_rd_p=21517efd-b385-405b-a405-9a37af61b5b4&pd_rd_wg=F46zs&pf_rd_r=9J470ZYRQDZ629JM9C00&pd_rd_r=ab7c3d8c-fcbb-11e8-a6fb-839e66d9df63
I'll use monoprice for wire, banana terminations, and HDMI.

$3100 so far, pay for some tax? on the SVS and the Pioneer, and he needs a BDP?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
He already has a display he is happy with. To be honest, I'm not sure what it is. A recently acquired 55 or 60" of some kind that I wasn't consulted on, go figure.

Correct me if I'm going backwards, but at the moment, here is what I'm looking at. Eager to hear your recommendations otherwise.

Paradigm Studio 60 v. 5 L/R available locally - $1350
Paradigm Studio CC 590 v.5 available locally - $650
SVS SB 2000 - $700
Pioneer Elite VSX - LX302 - $400
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZMVT8M/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B06ZZMVT8M&pd_rd_w=QN5Bm&pf_rd_p=21517efd-b385-405b-a405-9a37af61b5b4&pd_rd_wg=F46zs&pf_rd_r=9J470ZYRQDZ629JM9C00&pd_rd_r=ab7c3d8c-fcbb-11e8-a6fb-839e66d9df63
I'll use monoprice for wire, banana terminations, and HDMI.

$3100 so far, pay for some tax? on the SVS and the Pioneer, and he needs a BDP?
Worth finding out about the TV if you can, just to make certain you keep it as compatible as possible. ;)

Sub... SB2000 might not handle that room very well, even two of them. For SVS, you might want to consider the PB3000. I would recommend Hsu Research for power and quality at a great price. VTF15Hmk2 would be the main recommendation, but VTF3mk5HP would also work well. In general... buy the best single subwoofer you can allow yourself to afford, and if you switch up to duals at some point, buy one more of the same.

Monoprice Choice for speaker cable, at least 14AWG. Use their subwoofer cable, HDMI, Affinity series for Bananas if you want.

Not familiar with the AVR or speakers myself. ;) I'll look later when I have a few more to spare.

Best,
R

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Worth finding out about the TV if you can, just to make certain you keep it as compatible as possible. ;)

Sub... SB2000 might not handle that room very well, even two of them. For SVS, you might want to consider the PB3000. I would recommend Hsu Research for power and quality at a great price. VTF15Hmk2 would be the main recommendation, but VTF3mk5HP would also work well. In general... buy the best single subwoofer you can allow yourself to afford, and if you switch up to duals at some point, buy one more of the same.

Monoprice Choice for speaker cable, at least 14AWG. Use their subwoofer cable, HDMI, Affinity series for Bananas if you want.

Not familiar with the AVR or speakers myself. ;) I'll look later when I have a few more to spare.

Best,
R
Agreed. The sb2k is not up to the task.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just an idea to keep you thinking... cant find anything about that pioneer... good or bad, fwiw. Check this out, as well as the Sony and Denon they reference and alternately recommend:
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/onkyo-tx-nr585-review/
Maybe the Pioneer is more suitable for your family... only you can judge that.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
and he needs a BDP?
My money is still on the Sony UBP X700... it should do everything but DVD-A. Still on sale through Best Buy... Amazon is a few more ducats, but might save you tax.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis