Recommend a decent Concert Ukulele

R

racei

Audiophyte
I'm trying to get my 12-year-old son involved in playing music with me and thought a ukulele might be a good beginner instrument. I know zip about ukes and was hoping you all could recommend a good starter that is decently built and will hold tune?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your title was just so unusual I had to tune in :). OTOH my town has quite a few uekelele enthusiasts, even a festival in the past and more non-smoky years (from nearby forest fires). We have a gal, Jaqcui Lomont, who operates a local bakery and coffee shop who I believe is our local ringleader, try contacting her via her FB site here https://www.facebook.com/jacqui.lomont

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Check this guy out. Impressive stuff

If there is a shop that sells them somewhere near you, that is probably where I'd go check. Here, there is a shop in our little Japantown that sells them and also has lessons.

Last edited:
E

ebrartin

Enthusiast
Do you hope the ukulele will become his main instrument, or will it open doors to other instruments? I started playing musical instruments when I was 12 with my dad on his two of these ukuleles and playing folk songs with him. After a few months, I was ready to get a guitar, which I ultimately wanted to play.l if you're expecting to uYou could save some of that budget towards a mandolin, guitar, whatever he might want to move on to when he's ready to move on from the ukulele .

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It has been around a long time, I don't think there's much hope it would go mainstream. I DO agree with the fact that it could be a "gateway" instrument to the guitar, bass, etc... as he grows up.

C

cameronjohan

Audiophyte
I'd buy the Luna Tattoo Concert Ukulele only because of the shark teeth fret markers making a pleasure to play without looking. I also recommend checking out some specific chords for a concert with these concert ukulele chords.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis