M

Methost

Full Audioholic
My System -

Receiver - Marantz SR8400
Fronts - Axiom M22Ti
Center - Axiom VP150
Rear and Side surrounds - Axiom QS8s

I want a high quality bass. Ill go as high as $500 but would rather be close to $300. I was looking at a few options but I am afraid of over-powering my little speakers. I really want something with a lot of range yet able to play at lower volumes so as not to drown out my speakers.

Oh, my room is around 20x12 but my listening area is half of that. Ceiling peaks at 16' in the center.

So what do you guys think?

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb10_isd.htm
http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=S120PII&cat=STU&ser=STU
http://www.hsustore.com/vtf2.html
http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=601457227&refLoc=searchall

These are the ones I am looking at but I am wide open to suggestions. Usually money is no object, but considering the size of the rest of my system, if I can save here, Ill be happy. Although the volume of my room may call for a larger sub.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
PB-10 :) Only problem is, it WILL run you closer to $500, as will the VTF-2. You might consider the STF-2 instead, it's basically the same sub without variable tuning and costs less.

With calibration, you will NOT overpower any of your speakers.

I've owned both the VTF-2 and now the PB-10. Both are excellent subs. I prefer the PB-10's ability to dig a little deeper though.

Sounds like a nice setup!

S

Snarl

Audioholic
I'd say bite the bullet and don't skimp on the Bass, go for a matching Axiom EP175 or even a EP350. I find with a Sub you'll always regret skimping sooner or later and as such your better of waiting longer and saving up your money. I realize that it's not always possible to do things this way but if you can...

Good Luck

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
j_garcia,
How big is your room? My room is 16' wide by 18' long (with open breakfast nook area behind the 18' length). Based on the measurements of the PB10-ISD from Secrets, I think it will be plenty for this room. I don't subscribe to the good for music vs good for HT theory - I want accurate, regardless of source, and I think the PB10 will fit the bill nicely.

Any further thoughts on it?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Snarl said:
I'd say bite the bullet and don't skimp on the Bass, go for a matching Axiom EP175 or even a EP350. I find with a Sub you'll always regret skimping sooner or later and as such your better of waiting longer and saving up your money. I realize that it's not always possible to do things this way but if you can...
Interesting view, because I'd say he'd be paying more for less performance. While Axiom makes very good speakers, I wouldn't say they are known for their subs. The PB-10's driver alone weights about as much as the entire EP175 sub, and the 175 lists a -3dB of 32Hz. Hardly a performer, IMO. The EP350 is about $100 more than any of the other subs, and its specs seem to suggest that it won't offer more performance than the others listed.

MDS said:
j_garcia,
How big is your room? My room is 16' wide by 18' long (with open breakfast nook area behind the 18' length). Based on the measurements of the PB10-ISD from Secrets, I think it will be plenty for this room. I don't subscribe to the good for music vs good for HT theory - I want accurate, regardless of source, and I think the PB10 will fit the bill nicely.

Any further thoughts on it?
My room is 19x20 with a high vaulted ceiling and open to the kitchen - it's a big volume to fill. SVS recommended a larger sub for the room size, but to be honest, this thing still impressed me. It really does have very good output and has never shown a sign of strain, even in this room. I'm at 50% gain and +1 on the reciever, so it still has headroom if I needed it to be louder, but it is already quite satisfactory. It's one heck of a sub in the price range. My VTF-2 was a little more pleasing with music, but didn't quite cut it when movies called for the deep stuff with it's higher tune. The PB-10 does fine with music for my taste.

M

Methost

Full Audioholic
My HT is used for mostly movies. And even when I do listen to music, it's just background noise. It's only movies that make me pay attention to every creek and crack in the sound.

E

Eric Apple

Junior Audioholic
See the ULW-10 review here

Check out the review of the ULW-10 under professional reviews at the main page to this forum. There's a $399.00 link within the review. A good value, great looks, decent eq. A small, very good performer, but it's not a low end monster. Depending upon what your looking for size vs. freq resp and looks wise, you might like it.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
I also think the Cadence Xsub (can be found for $250 shipped) is your best bet. I haven't read a bad review on it yet. It doesn't go as deep as the SVS (~25Hz or so, whereas the SVS goes down to 19Hz) but it's the best all around performer under $400 shipped.

S

Snarl

Audioholic
j_garcia said:
Interesting view, because I'd say he'd be paying more for less performance. While Axiom makes very good speakers, I wouldn't say they are known for their subs. The PB-10's driver alone weights about as much as the entire EP175 sub, and the 175 lists a -3dB of 32Hz. Hardly a performer, IMO. The EP350 is about $100 more than any of the other subs, and its specs seem to suggest that it won't offer more performance than the others listed.
You do have a good point, however I have heard the EP350 and it sounded Great even though on paper the Spec isn't as good as some comparitively priced units, this is what I used as a basis for my recommendation. I also tend to like to stay "in Kind" with speakers i.e. all Axiom, all Vega or all Paradigm (in my case). Not a particularily scientific approach but it's never steered my wrong yet. Unfortunately I can only advise based on my own experiences and as such there will always be other/better/worse opinions. On somewhat of a side note my Sub is a paradigm PW2100 and although I love it, and other owners are pleased with it, it's not nessessarily one of the higher regarded Subs on these boards, this also to some degree colors the way I look at Specs vs Sound Results.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
MacManNM said:
I also think the Cadence Xsub (can be found for $250 shipped) is your best bet. I haven't read a bad review on it yet. It doesn't go as deep as the SVS (~25Hz or so, whereas the SVS goes down to 19Hz) but it's the best all around performer under $400 shipped.
I've read the reviews on it, and if it's lower cost that you're looking for, it's probably the one. If you are looking for a bit more performance, it's going to cost you a bit more than that.

Snarl said:
You do have a good point, however I have heard the EP350 and it sounded Great even though on paper the Spec isn't as good as some comparitively priced units, this is what I used as a basis for my recommendation. I also tend to like to stay "in Kind" with speakers i.e. all Axiom, all Vega or all Paradigm (in my case). Not a particularily scientific approach but it's never steered my wrong yet.
With the value that SVS and HSU represent vs their performance, I often find it tough to recommend the "matching" sub. Paradigm is a good example, as their subs are also not very good until you get to the higher models. The PW2100 and 2200 are good subs, but if you compare them based on price to a comparable internet direct manufacturer who basically focuses on making subs, it's pretty easy to see that you get more for your money going with one of the internet direct companies.

I used to have an all Paradigm setup too. Now all of the speakers in my main system are from internet direct companies and I could not be happier.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis