Reciver on screen menu???

Y

Yungheat

Audioholic Intern
I've seen when I went into best buy if there was a movie on it would say thx, Dolby digital etc on the reciver screen mine only says hdmi one why doesn't mine say those things and I also have a button that says program and I can change it to say standard or pro logic which one is betters s at the top of standard it says cinema dsp what does that mean??

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I've seen when I went into best buy if there was a movie on it would say thx, Dolby digital etc on the reciver screen mine only says hdmi one why doesn't mine say those things and I also have a button that says program and I can change it to say standard or pro logic which one is betters s at the top of standard it says cinema dsp what does that mean??
What receiver do you have?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
And on my reciever I can select standard movie or pro logic which one is better or what's the difference?
What do you have connected to your receiver and how (HDMI, RCA, other)?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Hdmi my biggest ? Is should I have the reciver set to straight or a preset
I don't know what all those movie and music programs are, but I would advise against those. Either set it to straight or use the sur. decode button on your remote for multichannel movies.

Y

Yungheat

Audioholic Intern
I don't know what all those movie and music programs are, but I would advise against those. Either set it to straight or use the sur. decode button on your remote for multichannel movies.
what would be the diffrence between straight and the surround decode button sorry im new to all this

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Don't receivers come with manuals anymore? All receivers are different so reading that may help.

As for "better", only your own ears can determine that.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Generally speaking, you want to set your A/V receiver for 'STANDARD' or 'AUTO' mode.

The markings on the top of the receiver or on the front indicate all the different surround sound formats that it can decode. It doesn't mean one is better, or worse, or anything else, it just means that the capability of the A/V receiver includes what is listed, or more accurately - advertised - on the receiver itself.

But, it is the source, your Blu-ray Disc player and your cable box which is feeding the audio to the A/V receiver, and you want to use the best quality possible FROM the source to the receiver.

So, you make an HDMI connection from your Blu-ray Disc player, and let the A/V receiver handle the audio duties automatically.

Now, Yamaha is well known for adding a TON of surround modes. My old Yamaha had something like 56 different surround modes available to it. Which one did I use? AUTO! The only time I didn't leave it on auto was when I listened to music and I wanted all speakers to be used, and then I set it to multi-channel stereo.

So, here is the product page for your receiver:
RX-V373 - RX-V - AV Receivers - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States

You should set your Blu-ray Disc player to use the best possible audio format - either DTS-MA or Dolby True-HD if possible, and then just leave the receiver on 'auto'.

You can certainly play with ALL the surround settings, but they don't represent what is on the disc itself. It's just a set of acoustic 'enhancers' which change the original signal to sound like something it is not. Most people find these effects to not be pleasant and just distracting from the original audio. So, after playing with them for a bit, you likely will just decide to turn them off and go back to 'auto' mode and just enjoy what was put on the original source to begin with.

Y

Yungheat

Audioholic Intern
Generally speaking, you want to set your A/V receiver for 'STANDARD' or 'AUTO' mode.

The markings on the top of the receiver or on the front indicate all the different surround sound formats that it can decode. It doesn't mean one is better, or worse, or anything else, it just means that the capability of the A/V receiver includes what is listed, or more accurately - advertised - on the receiver itself.

But, it is the source, your Blu-ray Disc player and your cable box which is feeding the audio to the A/V receiver, and you want to use the best quality possible FROM the source to the receiver.

So, you make an HDMI connection from your Blu-ray Disc player, and let the A/V receiver handle the audio duties automatically.

Now, Yamaha is well known for adding a TON of surround modes. My old Yamaha had something like 56 different surround modes available to it. Which one did I use? AUTO! The only time I didn't leave it on auto was when I listened to music and I wanted all speakers to be used, and then I set it to multi-channel stereo.

So, here is the product page for your receiver:
RX-V373 - RX-V - AV Receivers - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States

You should set your Blu-ray Disc player to use the best possible audio format - either DTS-MA or Dolby True-HD if possible, and then just leave the receiver on 'auto'.

You can certainly play with ALL the surround settings, but they don't represent what is on the disc itself. It's just a set of acoustic 'enhancers' which change the original signal to sound like something it is not. Most people find these effects to not be pleasant and just distracting from the original audio. So, after playing with them for a bit, you likely will just decide to turn them off and go back to 'auto' mode and just enjoy what was put on the original source to begin with.
when i set it to the standard mode it say cinema dsp at top is that the same thing as straight

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
From another forum after a quick google search:

"The Straight Enchancer and 5 Channel Enhancer modes are designed to improve the sound of compressed audio, like MP3s. As DTS HD and Dolby True HD are essentially lossless, or at least hi-res the enhancer mode really should not be required. If you're listening in the enchancer mode then the original sountrack is being changed through the processing, rather like using one of the Cinema DSP modes."

So 'STRAIGHT' adds processing to the audio, while 'standard' should not, and therefore, should not be used if you want the most accurate recreation of what is being sent. This is especially true with Blu-ray Disc, but not as much with cable/satellite television.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
From another forum after a quick google search:

"The Straight Enchancer and 5 Channel Enhancer modes are designed to improve the sound of compressed audio, like MP3s. As DTS HD and Dolby True HD are essentially lossless, or at least hi-res the enhancer mode really should not be required. If you're listening in the enchancer mode then the original sountrack is being changed through the processing, rather like using one of the Cinema DSP modes."

So 'STRAIGHT' adds processing to the audio, while 'standard' should not, and therefore, should not be used if you want the most accurate recreation of what is being sent. This is especially true with Blu-ray Disc, but not as much with cable/satellite television.
This is not quite correct. Straight is in fact the setting for no processing. You may select either "straight" or "straight enhancer" where the enhancer adds some processing. Press the "straight" button until the DSP light goes away.

Note: I'm making the assumption that your model of receiver works the same as mine. I believe this to be a good assumption, but it's not 100%

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Sorry for the misinformation! Thanks. Yamaha (and others) need a few less menus or at least a one touch button for 'standard stop screwing with my audio'. It confuses people who have been playing with stuff for years, so I can only imagine how people like the OP may feel.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sorry for the misinformation! Thanks. Yamaha (and others) need a few less menus or at least a one touch button for 'standard stop screwing with my audio'. It confuses people who have been playing with stuff for years, so I can only imagine how people like the OP may feel.
Agreed, it took me a bit of time to finally be confident I knew which setting did what. My old RX-V992 has a very large button that says "EFFECT OFF", now that's positive confirmation.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis