Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Wanting to add some cooling fans to my reciver rack as I run
To of them any idear on how many/size of fans should be uesd

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I have a laptop fan. Cheap and works well. You can also lower your ohm to 4 it will run cooler.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I have one of the fans that ADTG mentioned, plus an Antec big boy fan, plus the cooler guys AC plug, and then also one of these.

This was one big experiment to see what worked best. If I had to do it over again I would have gotten this, and two of those blue fans. I need the extra controls because I plan on using the fan controller with some case fans as well so more controls was necessary. However theres nothing wrong with the splitter ADTG mentioned the blue fans have no speed control, and while it is fairly silent, I like to have the option to slow it down.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
If your receiver has a switched outlet then you can go with a with a USB charger and a laptop cooler. That's what I use for an old but very beefy receiver and it has the advantage of not having LEDs lighting up everything.

In my opinion the best solution is a thermostatically controlled system that will run at 12v and continue to cool the system after you shut it down and the best source that I've found so far is CoolerGuys which sells components and complete kits. I've run this fixed thermostatic controller with a pair of 11db 120mm computer case fans to draw the hot air out of a an enclosed cabinet and it worked well. What I'm looking at now for another system is this 120v to 12v adjustable thermostatic controller and a couple of unlit 200-250mm computer case fans. I like big fans because they run pretty quiet while moving more air. You may also need a couple of long power cables or extension to reach the fans.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I like the idea of the thermal control from cooler guys, but would rather spend the $40 bucks on their wall outlet and then a fan controller. Sameish price and I can control the speed of the fans. I think the antec big boy fan is a great deal along with the splitter and AC outlet that ADTG mentioned because it has a 3 speed control built into it. Two of those plus the splitter and AC outlet and you can't really beat it.

Unlit, lit, whatever, personal preference and probably age helps deciding this. A couple big fans and something to control them/feed them power and you're good. You shouldn't be spending over $60-80ish bucks for a decent sized entertainment center, at least not that I can see.

Last edited:
Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
I'm in the middle of building a controle box that features a constant 12 volt source to a speed controller for the fans

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Yeh I think I'll just stick 2 big fans on there to push cold air in and a smaller fan to suck hot air out

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yeh I think I'll just stick 2 big fans on there to push cold air in and a smaller fan to suck hot air out
No no, don't push air in. Only pull air out.

Pushing air in pelts the delicate internal components with small particles which you definitely don't want to do. Why do you think all computers pull air out and don't push air in? Something to keep in mind.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Pushing air in pelts the delicate internal components with small particles which you definitely don't want to do. Why do you think all computers pull air out and don't push air in? Something to keep in mind.
My past two computers have used a push/pull air flow system, so some computers do push air in. :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Interesting, I think all of the ones I've dealt with have only used push, and then a few custom high end ones with water cooling. I have to say I loved the water cooled ones :D

B

Benbo

Enthusiast
Receiver cooling

Try a site called rackfans.com. I found out that they are quiet and the speed is controlled by the motor as it senses the temp of the component. They are 12 volt and come with its own power supply.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Those fans are cool, especially the thermal control, but they are extremely expensive compared to a couple case fans and a fan controller. Especially since those are only 80mm fans and that don't move much air.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis