T

tvanhook1146

Audiophyte
I have a pair of paradigm monitor 11 speakers. Any suggestion on a 150+watt per channel reviever

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi tvanhook,

Your speakers are somewhat efficient.
SENSITIVITY ROOM / ANECHOIC93 dB / 90 dB

Why the 150+watt per channel receiver? Advise us of the room size and seating distance from the speakers and we'll be better able to assist. It would also be helpful to have the budget $$ value and what country you live in.

Most here are fans of Denon /Marantz or Yamaha. There are a smattering of Sony folks and most are recommending you stay away from Onkyo / Pioneer due to technical woes and corporate issues.

T

tvanhook1146

Audiophyte
30 by 35 room. Bar area wirh pool table and dart board in open basement with 10 foot ceilings. As for price I'm flexible. Is under 1k realistic. Usa

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, most people would get a Yamaha, Marantz or Denon.

A few may get Sony, Onkyo, Pioneer, Anthem, NAD.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not much choice in avrs of that power level, or are you talking about a 2ch receiver? How about something like an avr with pre-outs then get a more powerful amp as needed? I like the Denon 3700.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
30 by 35 room. Bar area wirh pool table and dart board in open basement with 10 foot ceilings. As for price I'm flexible. Is under 1k realistic. Usa
Thanks for the quick response.

Big room. Is there no primary seating area? I'm assuming the speakers are a couple feet out from the wall. A 100 watt receiver is capable of driving those monitor 11s to 109.3 dB when 10 feet away from the speakers. You gain less than 2 dB going to 150 watts. 100 dB is defined as uncomfortably loud, and 110 is a Jet flying over at 300 meters away (which is really close). So with 100 watts you'd be somewhere in the middle but darn close to sound coming from a Jet.

The reason I chose 100 watts is that's a "sweet spot" in the market power wise. 1 watt of power will drive your monitor 11s to 93 dB which is probably where most folks normally consider it Very Loud and then some. You may be able to even go with 75 or 80 watts depending on your loudness aspirations. See SPL Calculator

Is this receiver always gong to used in a Stereo configuration? Any Subs or Home Theater (HT) asperations? The market is realty competitive for HT and far less so, for stereo receivers which are getting harder to find (at least decent ones).

More info is helpful.

Last edited:
T

tvanhook1146

Audiophyte
Only stereo. Primary seating would be the bar stools I suppose. Maybe a sub down the road

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Does video needs to be incorporated? What would you need to connect to it in the way of sources?

T

tvanhook1146

Audiophyte
I've got a nice turn table and a pretty good album selection. Only other option I would need would be blue tooth

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh boy, a 100 wpc stereo receiver with room correction and bass management? You don't see those very often!
Pretty decent feature set if all you need is 2.0 or 2.1 altho kinda pricey compared to an avr.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I agree the feature set is good but a comparably priced AVR could give one options for expansion down the road.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis