Reciever comparison, upgrade or not?

R

Rasmus

Audioholic Intern
Hi!

I'm thinking about upgrading my reciever to the Onkyo TX-SR444. My local shop currently sells it for about 290 $ .I currently have a Sony str dh 550.

So is it worth the upgrade?

mains : yamaha ns 555
Center : ns c444
Surround: ns 333
Sub: Sony SA-CS9

The 555 yammies have biwire option, is that something i could benefit from by doing this upgrade? : )

What are you guys recommendation to a newbie like me? :)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
No. Upgrade your SPEAKERS first.

And I don't believe the Yamaha speaker has a bi-wire option, rather it may have a bi-amp option and it's so minimal it's really not worth the bother. If it were true bi-wire you would need a source with crossover to take advantage of bi-wiring by sending only HF to the tweeter and LF to the woofer.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
No. Upgrade your SPEAKERS first.
Agree.

And I don't believe the Yamaha speaker has a bi-wire option, rather it may have a bi-amp option...
It does, but what's the difference? Both require the two sections be separated. These do.

Granted, bi-wiring is fairly useless but many like to do it, it doesn't do any harm, and the marketing department knows having this ability sells a lot of speakers to the unknowing.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't think the Yamaha NS speakers are all that bad. Not that they are great. I would be looking at a good subwoofer at this point. I would get a higher end receiver after that, but definitely something way above an entry level Onkyo. I would upgrade the speaker way down the line, and speakers that will make a very noticeable upgrade over the Yamahas will not be cheap. For subs, I might be looking at the new EMP Tek I-12 or a Hsu VTF2 mk4 or a Rythmik LV12r.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Really not terrific speakers as floorstanders go. Heck the new Fluance would be a huge jump in sound quality.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi!

I'm thinking about upgrading my reciever to the Onkyo TX-SR444. My local shop currently sells it for about 290 $ .I currently have a Sony str dh 550.

The 555 yammies have biwire option, is that something i could benefit from by doing this upgrade? : )

What are you guys recommendation to a newbie like me? :)
Your potential move to the Onkyo would be moving from an entry level Sony to a more modern but still entry level Onkyo. If you need the added feature set of the Onkyo, then thats the reason to purchase it. However, it will NOT change the sound you are currently experiencing.

The weakest link you have at the moment is the sub. That would be my first target in my upgrade path. The Yammy speakers are mediocre, certainly not as bad as some people are making them out to be but not the best either. The center and two fronts speakers would be my next target. I hope this helps/

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
After really looking up all the components, I have to agree with 3db and suggest a subwoofer upgrade first, then the mains, then the center, then the surrounds and finally the receiver.

Getting the final output devices (speakers) all as good as you can afford and appealing to your ears is more important than the power level and the old receiver's signal quality really isn't dramatically worse than a new one.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree with what's been said already but just want to be clear about "biwire option". You probably meant "bi-amp" because to bi-wire you just need to run another pair of wires to the speakers as long as the speakers are designed for it. So bi-wire is not an option for receivers and amplifiers, it is an option for speakers. If you speakers come with two sets of binding posts with jumpers, they are ready for bi-wire or bi-amp. When you do it, be sure to follow instructions and remove the jumpers.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Really not terrific speakers as floorstanders go. Heck the new Fluance would be a huge jump in sound quality.
So like he said, it would cost him a lot more, those speakers are $800.

I agree with ShadyJ, he should be looking to upgrade that subwoofer. It lags far behind the rest of the equipment in OP's list.

R

Rasmus

Audioholic Intern
Thank you guys for all inputs : ) its not really an option to get new speakers, though i might be intrested in a new subwoofer since this isnt the first time people point out that sub as pure crap. Should mention i live in a small apartment so i have to respect my neighbour.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Hi!

No, keep the Sony. The Onkyo adds a couple minor features like Bluetooth and HDCP 2.2. Unless you're really serious about 4K in the near future I wouldn't bother myself with the HDCP 2.2 and you can get a bluetooth adaptor for cheap that will connect to your receiver via analog or digital inputs (saw a Rocketfish one at Best Buy for like $40-50 that had optical audio output).

Change the subwoofer first. I don't see a problem with your speakers right now. That series of Yamaha speakers were a good bargain when they were available. Unless you can scratch up at least $500 for front left and right speaker upgrades you may as well hold off on upgrading the speakers because it won't get you anywhere.

The 555 yammies have biwire option, is that something i could benefit from by doing this upgrade?
No, with the equipment you have bi-wiring / bi-amping would be completely useless.

R

Rasmus

Audioholic Intern
I have a 4k TV hooked up to my PC via the reciever so when 4k hits bluray i want to use it, is that impossible with this reciever? I'm able to view 4 k demos, youtube videos and so on without any problem right now

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Oh yeah, room that large, needs a bigger subwoofer. :)

Also, I hate to tell you this, but at that distance your vision will be unable to determine the difference between 4K and 1080p.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/size-to-distance-relationship

However, depending on the panel used in your television you may get better color accuracy and black levels compared to a 1080p model.

Your current receiver not being HDCP 2.2 compliant could prove troublesome for the 4K blu-ray format. Then again, depending on what TV you have it may not be HDCP 2.2 compliant either (some earlier 4K models and even some that are still sold currently don't have this).

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I agree with Seth=L and would also point out that your surrounds are doing next to nothing for the listening experience where they are in relation to seating and pointing where they do.

Can you move the sofa closer and get those speakers pointed toward the audience?

Your room will also have better feng shui if you have space behind the sofa! :p

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
A better subwoofer will allow you to hear more bass at lower frequencies and than your current sub because it will be able to produce the lower frequencies. It will also be more articulate in its delivery. I recommend brands from Rythmik, SVS, HSU, PSA,,,,, and more that slips the mind. If you were to upgrade your sub, what would your budget be?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree with Seth=L and would also point out that your surrounds are doing next to nothing for the listening experience where they are in relation to seating and pointing where they do.

Can you move the sofa closer and get those speakers pointed toward the audience?

Your room will also have better feng shui if you have space behind the sofa! :p
From a movie perspective, I think the surrounds are fine where they are.

R

Rasmus

Audioholic Intern
The pictures does not show the actual distance, its about 3 meters to front L&R from my listening position so i have around the same distance to the tv, a 55" PUS8809/12 (no i hate netflix dont need hevc ;) ) I will get back to you with measurements.

Regarding the surrounds i cant to much about them, i tried to move the listening position (read sofa) a bit forward but the surround experiance actually got worse. I should say that im happy with the sound and have no complaints about the system : ) but somehow you always want to improve haha...

R

Rasmus

Audioholic Intern
The TV has HDCP 2.2, does that mean i have to upgrade my reciever when 4k blurays starts raining down on the torrent sites? If that is the case, is it still a terrible idea go get the onkyo
If i can sell my current sony?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis