Receivers for analog

Jaycan

Jaycan

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>We can all agree that receivers continue to make significant advances in sound quality. I have noticed however that reviews rarely or never mention the quality of the phono stage, when present on a receiver. Will those of us who enjoy vinyl always have to depend on a preamp/phono preamp setup to enjoy our analog? Will receivers ever offer anything besides a token attempt at phono?</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Will receivers ever offer anything besides a token attempt at phono? </td></tr></table>

Jaycam;

I understand your concern, but it is doubtful that they ever will. &nbsp;The demand just isn't there and receivers normally don't necessarily cater to the diehard audiophile. &nbsp;Since none of us currently own a turntable anymore, you are not likely going to hear us reviewing a receivers/processors phono stage any time soon.

I suggest that if you find the phono stage lacking in a receiver, to buy a dedicated phono preamp and connect it to an alternative input of your receiver/processor.</font>

Jaycan

Jaycan

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Yep, I figured as much. Thanks</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Since I had the Yamaha CX-1 pre amp whose phono section was rated among the best by many reviewers I can tell you that the phono section on my DSP-AZ1 comes pretty close to the CX-1 and the only thing missing is provison for MC cartridges and equalization but at least Yamaha is giving a decent phono section in their HT receivers.</font>

Jaycan

Jaycan

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I would have to agree that among the receivers, Yamaha appears to make the best phono stage. Approx. 13 yrs ago I bought the then flagship RX-1130, a pre-DSP, titanium, 130 watts/ch, clean sounding receiver with only rudimentary sorround modes (no CC), whose phono stage allowed both MM/MC, and worked fine for midfi turntables. But if you want to push the boundaries of analog then I agree that a dedicated phono preamp is needed for top-notch RIAA equalization.

[edited spelling]</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis