Receiver won't recognize optical from PC

T

trombone

Audiophyte
I just picked up a used Marantz SR7001. I can get it to play via optical from my Onkyo DV-SP502 player, but for some reason when I try to stream from my PC the display says "no data."

Only two days ago I was happily streaming music from my PC onto my Yamaha RX-V667, so I'm pretty sure the PC is still outputting properly. I've tried connecting via all 4 of the SR7001's optical inputs, but none of them will recognize a signal from the PC, though they work with the SACD player.

I've been trying to play .flac, .mp3 and Apple lossless in both iTunes and Foobar2000, and I get nothing. None of the system sounds are working either. The Yamaha recognized the signal as PCM, but as I said, the Marantz just says "no data."

I'm running Win7 64-bit and using the on-board optical output. The drivers and codecs on my PC all seem to be up to date. I've tried reducing the sample rates to no avail.

The Yamaha is only a couple of years old (2010), but the Marantz is from 2007. Could that be the problem? The SR7001 picks up the optical PCM signal from the DV-SP502 just fine. Could it be a software or a firmware issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I had a similar problem, but with totally different equipment, so I'm not sure if our problems are the same. At face value, it would seem that we have the same issue. I was running a macbook pro and was trying to run optical to my onkyo 3009. My issue seemed to be with a new cord I ordered. I tried a different cord and it worked. I tried the new cord but with a different input and it worked. It seemed like the combination of the new cord and the macbook to the onkyo was the only combination of those three products that didn't work.

First thing I would try to go into the menus on the Marantz and see if you need to select a specific input for whatever setting you're using (tv, BD, PC). I know on my onkyo inputs are assignable. In the end, nothing worked for me and I ended up buying a behringer UCA202 and for whatever reason when I plugged that into my computer and the optical into that and then the optical into the receiver everything was peachy. If all else fails I would give that a try and buy it from amazon so if it doesn't work you can return it.

Good luck.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I had the same problem using a different external USB DAC. I switched to a UCA202 also and it works great. There was another thread that was talking about disabling some setting "allow devices to take exclusive control" or something to that effect, but the UCA202 solved the issue AND sounds good.

T

trombone

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply.

I've tried all the inputs with the DV-SP502, and they all work. I'm pretty sure I assigned the inputs properly, but the Marantz menus aren't what you would call user friendly.

I'll switch out the cord when I get home. Maybe that'll make a difference. It's always possible something was damaged while I was switching things around.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It is my understanding also that some PCs don't output correctly and the receiver isn't able to handle it, so some setting on the PC may have changed to cause this? This is what my issue was for sure, because everything else worked on the same inputs with the same optical cable.

T

trombone

Audiophyte
I uninstalled all the audio drivers, rebooted, and all at once there's glorious, fully digital sound again. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I uninstalled all the audio drivers, rebooted, and all at once there's glorious, fully digital sound again. Thanks for all of your suggestions.
Weird. And computers make our lives soooo much easier:eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis