Receiver upgrade questions

D

Donny Brooks

Audiophyte
I currently have an Onkyo TX-SR806 I purchased back in 2008. It has served me well but is starting to show its age. For as long as I can remember I have had to pipe my Wii (original Wii, not WiiU) video straight to the TV and audio through the receiver or I would suffer from a blanking screen from time to time if I plugged the component video to the receiver and then HDMI to the TV. More recently if I don't turn the volume all the way down before I power the receiver off for any period of time it will do loud pops when I power it back up. In addition to these issues when using my FireTV stick in it I have to wait for minimum 1 hour before the video actually works. My chromecast does similar thing. And my Roku 2 used to do it but now it seems the most stable of the 3 devices. However my cable box works flawlessly every time.

So, now that we have the problems out of the way here is what I am looking at. It looks like I can get a "slightly used" TX-NR626 or TX-NR535 for around $200. I would like to eventually upgrade to a 4k tv and a 4k compatible device like one of the google tv's or similar. I need 5 HDMI inputs and 1 or 2 component inputs. Network connectivity is nice as is bluetooth but not 100% needed. Should one of these 2 receivers serve me well? Any input is much appreciated.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
So, now that we have the problems out of the way here is what I am looking at. It looks like I can get a "slightly used" TX-NR626 or TX-NR535 for around $200. I would like to eventually upgrade to a 4k tv and a 4k compatible device like one of the google tv's or similar. I need 5 HDMI inputs and 1 or 2 component inputs. Network connectivity is nice as is bluetooth but not 100% needed. Should one of these 2 receivers serve me well? Any input is much appreciated.
Neither of those receivers is HDCP 2.2 (copy protection standard used in transmission of 4K). Any 4K display will look for 2.2 at every stage, so player to receiver to display before allowing true 4K content to be displayed. Don't get hung up on this since it won't matter till you have a 4K player and display on either side of the receiver. Then too, with both supporting Audio Return Channel on the HDMI Out, this might be a non-issue.

The 626 has a (marginally) beefier amp. It is also 7.2 (as opposed to 535's 5.2). If you're getting a 626 for close to $200 I'd consider it a better deal than the 535 for the same price. For comparison, Accessories4Less has (refurb) 626 for $270 and 535 for $200.

D

Donny Brooks

Audiophyte
Thanks for the input. Any cheap-ish receiver out there that will do what I'm looking for?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
It would be a couple of years before HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 will become limiting in any meaningful way. I would advise you re-evaluate your need for them.

The Onkyo NR636 on A4L (refurb) $370 or (new) $500, is the price of entry. Oddly, the NR737 is also $500 new and includes a Sennheiser HD201 Headphones, 2x 7' HDMI cables and Monster Power strip (and screen cleaning kit :rolleyes:). That 737 deal is actually wicked good since A4L has the (refurb) 737 for $490.

That said, the 636 and 737 use Onkyo's in house flavor of room correction in place of the excellent Audyssey processing. IMO, this alone is a deal breaker for many (myself included). For example, I would happily trade HDMI 2.0 and DHCP 2.2 for Audyssey Silver, like the A4L (refurb) Denon X1000 for $219.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis