Receiver Turning Off

M

merrillh

Audiophyte
Hello all, to start I am a beginner as far as audio/video components go...

I have an older (5 years old) Onkyo Receiver that cuts off when the audio gets louder.

I do not have to turn it up, however when a noise, (lets say an explosion) goes off, the receiver turns off.

It is connected to 5 speakers in a dolby surround config.

I have it wired directly to the wall outlet, so there isnt a power strip that is in question.

It was working fine, then I moved in to a brand new house (200 amp service/15 amp breaker) and now I have issues.

No circuit breaker is tripped, the unit just turns off.

Any ideas?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
merrillh said:
Hello all, to start I am a beginner as far as audio/video components go...

I have an older (5 years old) Onkyo Receiver that cuts off when the audio gets louder.

I do not have to turn it up, however when a noise, (lets say an explosion) goes off, the receiver turns off.

It is connected to 5 speakers in a dolby surround config.

I have it wired directly to the wall outlet, so there isnt a power strip that is in question.

It was working fine, then I moved in to a brand new house (200 amp service/15 amp breaker) and now I have issues.

No circuit breaker is tripped, the unit just turns off.

Any ideas?
Well, you moved, you disassembled it at the old place and reassembled it in the new place. Your circuit breaker is not the issue.
Wired directly to the wall outlet? Is that the power cord just plugged in? Or, hard wired to the outlet?
Check your speaker connections at the amp and speaker, with a maginfying glass and lots of light as you most likely may have a strand shorting.

M

merrillh

Audiophyte
Thanks... I will check today and report back.

Hunter

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
merrillh said:
Thanks... I will check today and report back.

Hunter

One more thought. Are you turning up the volume more than in the previous place? If so, maybe your speakers demand too much from the amp then?

B

bigrick15

Audiophyte
another problem

Another problem could be that you are putting too much power into the receiver. I had a receiver and when pushed too much it cut off. Also have you changed anything since you had the system or did you hook it up differently?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis