Receiver that can run mains as Large with subs natively?

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Do you have all those things needed for your amp assigment? It could eliminate other choices. LFE+Main is fairly easy to implement on a case-by-case basis, altho you would have to change it manually when you don't want to use it for something else. Don't confuse LFE and bass management....
No, I only have 5.1 speakers. But there was some reason why I had selected 7.1Ch+ZONE2/3-MONO, but I can't remember what it was, sadly.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, I only have 5.1 speakers. But there was some reason why I had selected 7.1Ch+ZONE2/3-MONO, but I can't remember what it was, sadly.
Well if you don't have zones in use seems one of the basic modes like 9.1/11.1 or whatever choice you have would be sufficient.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
That does not seem to be the case with my Denon AVR-X5200. I'm now in the setup with my fronts set to Large, and in the Bass setup, Subwoofer Mode, I can select either LFE or LFE + Main.
While being able to select both, one must select LFE+Main when FRONT, and CENTER in this case, are set at LARGE for audio to always be produced by the SUB.
352D698B-7839-4D74-A839-C8DAA81C6DB8.jpeg

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If not using any other Zone, the first default assignment would be appropriate.
62A2B755-7D41-434D-B780-CECFDA1FC5ED.jpeg

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
With any assignment, unused channels should have the speaker size set to None.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Its actually Denononics.Yamahanics is only slightly less frustrating than Klingon.:D

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Well just from seeing the above, it looks like what I'm looking for is that LFE+Main setting with my mains being all large and surrounds set to small. I guess I just need to make sure whatever model I go for has that or similar option depending on the jargon used.

Very best,

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Well just from seeing the above, it looks like what I'm looking for is that LFE+Main setting with my mains being all large and surrounds set to small. I guess I just need to make sure whatever model I go for has that or similar option depending on the jargon used.

Very best,
You don't really have to set sub to LFE+M. Some people do that but manufactures typically don't recommend that setting, often known as "double bass" on forums. If you are not what they call "bass heads", you will probably find setting mains to large and sub to just LFE more pleasing to you.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
You don't really have to set sub to LFE+M. Some people do that but manufactures typically don't recommend that setting, often known as "double bass" on forums. If you are not what they call "bass heads", you will probably find setting mains to large and sub to just LFE more pleasing to you.
Thanks; it definitely would be nice to have the option and not need it!

Very best,

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks; it definitely would be nice to have the option and not need it!

Very best,
True, but just fyi most major brands have the LFE+Main feature, including Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, even NAD all have LFE+Main but yes if that's important to you then you should check out their instruction manuals online first.

Note some may call them differently, for example, Pioneer/Onkyo: "double bass", NAD: "enhanced..".

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
True, but just fyi most major brands have the LFE+Main feature, including Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, even NAD all have LFE+Main but yes if that's important to you then you should check out their instruction manuals online first.

Note some may call them differently, for example, Pioneer/Onkyo: "double bass", NAD: "enhanced..".
Yea I figured the later models now a days can do it all, I just didn't know at what point it became more common, I'm used to older ones that the bass management wouldn't even be an option if you set speakers to large, etc.

I looked at some manuals and not all of them are explicit, some are though. Very tedious to find simple information.

Very best,

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
While being able to select both, one must select LFE+Main when FRONT, and CENTER in this case, are set at LARGE for audio to always be produced by the SUB.
View attachment 54667
Thanks. Based on that, then I would think my two surround speakers would also have to be set to Large. Mine are sizable towers, so I already have them set to large.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
My old Pioneer AV receiver can do that. But it is a dinosaur. Pioneer doesn't even serve the home audio market any longer. The setup program provides for large/small option individually for each speaker. Same with a very basic and cheap Pioneer AV receiver I use in my bedroom. I'm guessing but I would expect the feature in virtually any AV receiver.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
There still seems to be confusion about the feature and manufacturer manuals can be of little help when one is trying to figure out exactly what they do. There shouldn't be any confusion based on the pages inserted in earlier posts concerning a particular Denon model. Keep in mind that having speakers set at LARGE means no signal to the subwoofer UNLESS the DOUBLE BASS, EXTRA BASS or LFE+MAIN features are turned ON. Sending a full signal to front channels means they get it all. So, the AVR will not reroute low signals to a sub. This is the case with two channel as well as multi channel material.

Denon/Marantz have the best designation for the feature and I think can still send a signal to the sub in a multichannel scenario based on the sound mode using just the LFE setting. That is at least what they seem to indicate in their manual. This is not the case with Onkyo/Pioneer and Yamaha. Run Mains at LARGE with Onkyo/Pioneer receivers and get nothing from the sub UNLESS the DOUBLE BASS feature is turned on regardless of the audio signal. Run Mains at LARGE with a Yamaha and get nothing from the subwoofer UNLESS EXTRA BASS is turned on.

Onkyo actually prevents the activation of DOUBLE BASS when speakers are set to SMALL because it is only meant to be used with the LARGE setting to extend the low range signal to the subs when Mains are running at Full Band. Setting a crossover essentially sets them at SMALL compared to LARGE being Full Band. Yamaha receivers work similarly when Mains are set at LARGE but, and this is a big BUT, they also allow EXTRA BASS to be activated when Mains are SMALL and this actually applies an artificial bass boost to ALL of the speakers. This is a no no.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
So, in my case with 5.1 system and not using any zone, the correct(first default) assignment would be 7.1ch+ZONE2. Correct?
Yes. Don't forget to set the unused Surround Back and Height Speakers to None.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis