Receiver suggestions from UK?

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
I will be visiting UK for a few weeks, and I notice that the prices of receivers are far better than back home - India. Best part, we use the same Mains supply voltage - 230V 50Hz. So I am planning to pick an receiver during my visit.

My speakers are PSB Image series T6 Fonts, C5 Centers, B6 Surrounds. I am currently driving my fronts with Crown XLS 1500. Two DIY subs with Crown XLS 2002.

I'm looking for one that can work with my existing setup.
I certainly need the following features,
  • Prefer Durability over features!
  • Pre outs
  • Room correction
  • Multiple sub out
  • Multiple HDMI out
  • 5.2 config is all that I have space for.
  • Budget 1000 pounds, can go up by 200/300 pounds.
Based on some suggestions on reddit I found these sites that sell in UK. I can see multiple options like Cinema 60, Denon X3800, Yamaha A4A with far better prices.
  1. https://petertyson.co.uk/homecinema/amps-av-receivers
  2. https://www.richersounds.com/home-cinema/home-cinema-separates/av-receivers.html
  3. https://www.av.com/home-cinema/av-amps-receivers
What would you guys recommend...?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think you will get the Warranty if you buy it in UK and bring it to India.

As to which ones are more reliable, I would get the one that has the nearest service center where you live in India.

If same distance, I would get the Yamaha.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
I don't think you will get the Warranty if you buy it in UK and bring it to India.

As to which ones are more reliable, I would get the one that has the nearest service center where you live in India.

If same distance, I would get the Yamaha.
Where I live, service of Yamaha, Denon, Marantz are available.
Is there a reason why you are suggesting the Yamaha over the others? I think the other 2 have Audyssey with it.

And yes, no warranty.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Where I live, service of Yamaha, Denon, Marantz are available.
Is there a reason why you are suggesting the Yamaha over the others? I think the other 2 have Audyssey with it.

And yes, no warranty.
A lot of people like Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha.

I say just go with the features you like the most. I like Yamaha’s MusicCast for both WiFi music streaming and WiFi remote control.

Is the price difference worth voiding the warranty?

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
A lot of people like Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha.

I say just go with the features you like the most. I like Yamaha’s MusicCast for both WiFi music streaming and WiFi remote control.

Is the price difference worth voiding the warranty?
I will be checking the prices over the next few days. I only have a rough idea for now.

The warranty here is just one year!!
I presume issues usually comes up during this initial period if handed well.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I will be checking the prices over the next few days. I only have a rough idea for now.

I would go with Marantz or Denon. Richer sounds have been around for a long time and are an ethical reliable outfit. I think they would handle you correctly if you had a problem.

Where are you going in the UK by the way?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Well, fact is most people don’t ever need to use the warranty. But just in case.

However, 1YR warranty for a brand new AVR is ridiculous. No wonder you are willing to forego the warranty in favor of better pricing. Don’t blame you.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
Well, fact is most people don’t ever need to use the warranty. But just in case.

However, 1YR warranty for a brand new AVR is ridiculous. No wonder you are willing to forego the warranty in favor of better pricing. Don’t blame you.
A lot of folks in India get receivers from the US for the same reason, 1 year warranty vs much better deals. The more expensive the AVR, price difference can hit 50%.
I prefer not to get one from there as it is 110V system, with some exceptions.

I would prefer with warranty. Let's see, if I find a model at a good price. If price difference is just 10-15%, then makes sense to get with warranty.

Last edited:
S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
I would go with Marantz or Denon. Richer sounds have been around for a long time and are an ethical reliable outfit. I think they would handle you correctly if you had a problem.

Where are you going in the UK by the way?
Around London, milton keynes.
Are you from the UK?

How are the other 2 sites? Any idea on them?
In india folks who travel to UK, typically get from richer sounds.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
Checked out prices of a few receivers from multiple sellers. This is what it looks like (Converted to UK Pounds).

Note:
  • I have converted the prices at home to UK pounds
  • '>' implies price certainly more than
  • '~' implies price before negotiation
Model
@home with 1 yr warranty
UK Price (Warranty not applicable)
Marantz Cinema 50> 2000£1300£
Marantz Cinema 60> 1500£1000£
Denon x2800H~1000£600-700£
Denon x3800H~1400£900£
Denon x4800H> 2000£1400£
Yamaha A4A>1300£1100£

With this kind of price difference, we are forced to look for alternate options.
Plus they provide a miserly 1 year warranty.

As I understand from a few sellers, they seem to recommend Denon over the rest. Apparently Denon has better service and higher sales. Marantz and Yamaha is not bad though.

I would certainly require Pre-Outs. Any recommendations from the above list?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Checked out prices of a few receivers from multiple sellers. This is what it looks like (Converted to UK Pounds).

Note:
  • I have converted the prices at home to UK pounds
  • '>' implies price certainly more than
  • '~' implies price before negotiation
Model
@home with 1 yr warranty
UK Price (Warranty not applicable)
Marantz Cinema 50> 2000£1300£
Marantz Cinema 60> 1500£1000£
Denon x2800H~1000£600-700£
Denon x3800H~1400£900£
Denon x4800H> 2000£1400£
Yamaha A4A>1300£1100£

With this kind of price difference, we are forced to look for alternate options.
Plus they provide a miserly 1 year warranty.

As I understand from a few sellers, they seem to recommend Denon over the rest. Apparently Denon has better service and higher sales. Marantz and Yamaha is not bad though.

I would certainly require Pre-Outs. Any recommendations from the above list?
I think Yamaha A4A or Denon X3800.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
I got the x3800, got it for about 900 pounds.
I am yet to setup and use it.

Meanwhile, I got my older receiver repaired which had HDMI Output issues. Testing that for now.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I got the x3800, got it for about 900 pounds.
I am yet to setup and use it.

Meanwhile, I got my older receiver repaired which had HDMI Output issues. Testing that for now.
How did you enjoy your visit to the UK, and where were you based?

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
How did you enjoy your visit to the UK, and where were you based?
I was in Milton Keynes.
Stay was pleasant, traveled a bit.
The first week the weather was super cold, then it settled for next 2 weeks. Food was the only struggle, but we managed. I think we will be going back again in couple of weeks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I was in Milton Keynes.
Stay was pleasant, traveled a bit.
The first week the weather was super cold, then it settled for next 2 weeks. Food was the only struggle, but we managed. I think we will be going back again in couple of weeks.
So close to the famous codebreakers at Bletchley Park. So you are on the edge of the midlands, but you are close and half way between Oxford and Cambridge. I would say that is a must see for both.

So that makes you not far from the spectacular Cotswolds and Malvern Hills. You have a lot of spectacular countryside to your west there. Quite a few Indian restaurants in Milton Keynes, but I have no idea if they are any good. There is a huge Indian diaspora in that area, if British food is not to your taste, but you should be able to find a good pint of beer!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis