Receiver shutting off at high levels

J

joeunc

Enthusiast
All,

I recentely got a Yammy HTR-5960..upgraded from a previous Yamaha I had for about 9 years. It had seen it's last legs (volume knob was broken off, other cosmetic issues),,right before I got the new one I noticed when watching DVD in 5.1 that the unit would just shut off on it's own. Especially when the volume was turned up. I figured it may be a speaker connection so I checked them all,,alll were clean. My front speakers are also about 9yrs old, Phase Technology Teatro Tower 10's. I did notice that the front left speaker was cracking and fainter than the other.

So , I get the new receiver,,everything working fine for the last few weeks,,DVD' , music everything as loud as I wish is ok.

Then last night,,watching a music channel on DirecTV, i had the music enhancer turned on 7.1 simulation,,and it happened again,,automatic reciever shut off,,,when I turn the volume down it alleviates the issue.

Can someone please assist,,it appears on of my fronts may have an issue which means a purchase of new fronts seems to be in may plans.

JVC

JVC

Banned
If it's not a stray wire, at speaker connections (both ends checked), and it's doing it to different receivers, it may be something inside one of your speakers, causing the problem. The receiver goes into protection mode, to keep from frying something, when it gets too hot.

Another possible answer is: are you running 4 ohm speakers, with an 8 ohm receiver? That can cause this problem, when volume is at high levels. This doesn't happen as often as the stray speaker wire, but it does happen.

I don't think it's the receiver, since it's happened to different ones. Unless you're very unlucky, and happened to get two different receivers, with the same problem. Maybe someone else has some ideas............
Good luck!

One more thing..........
Is your receiver closed in, or in a tight area of an entertainment center? It needs air flow, to stay cool. As I said.............. The protection mode activates when the receiver is too hot. If this is the case, you need to move it to where it can get some air flow, or put a fan blowing on it, when it's in use.

J

joeunc

Enthusiast
I don't think receiver either..The ohms setup is fine as it has been running that way for 9 years (at 8 i beleive)..The wire is monster cable with banana plugs on both ends. The one thing I am gonna test next is..Running it straight from amp to speaker,,right now it goes through the walls from the pre-wiring when the house was built,,,plugs in behing the amp to wall and another wall jack over at the speaker..So there may be something inside the wall causing it since I can guarantee there is no speaker wire touching outside.

The receiver does sit in a closed door cabinet with a screen over the front..nothing on top of it,,about 2-3'' on either side of it. And I know it's that front left channel as I can turn the balance over to the right and crank it up,,but turn balance back to middle,,--> auto shut off

thanks
Joe

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Probably...

...the protection circuit doesn't like the load presented by the loudspeaker at your volume level...turn it down!

Stray wires will not cause this intermittent condition; a short is a short is a short...so unless the gremlins are back there futzin' with your stuff and your head, that ain't it. A nail through the hidden part of the wire that is excited by the wall's reaction to the volume level is a distinct possibility.

A simple troubleshooting trick re: cracking/faintness: swap the wires at the output connectors...if the trouble moves, it's not the speakers or the wiring...use the process of elimination.

jimHJJ(...simple really...)

S

sivadselim

Audioholic
A blown driver, such as a tweeter, can cause your receiver to shut down at high volume levels.

J

joeunc

Enthusiast
and I am not talking about really high levels,,,,just like -25 on a DVD

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Resident Loser said:
...the protection circuit doesn't like the load presented by the loudspeaker at your volume level...turn it down!

Stray wires will not cause this intermittent condition; a short is a short is a short...so unless the gremlins are back there futzin' with your stuff and your head, that ain't it. A nail through the hidden part of the wire that is excited by the wall's reaction to the volume level is a distinct possibility.

A simple troubleshooting trick re: cracking/faintness: swap the wires at the output connectors...if the trouble moves, it's not the speakers or the wiring...use the process of elimination.

jimHJJ(...simple really...)
Resident loser is right, however I have seen one instance where a few stray wires touching the chassis caused something just like this. I would yank every wire, and redo them all, starting with the side that gives you the problem. It sounds a LOT like a short to me.

J

joeunc

Enthusiast
the runs are very short,,,speaker wire from AMP going about 3 feet to wall banana plugged on both ends

then from the speaker about 3 ft going into the wall,,banana plug at both ends,

Next i am gonna bypass the wall and go straight from amp to speaker and test when i get home.

The funny thing is,,if there were a short wouldn't it have cut out right out of the box when plugged up and testing,,,this new amp didn't start the auto shut off until about 3 weeks after installation.

thx
Joe

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis