receiver shuts off when turned up

F

fresh

Audiophyte
I have a Kenwood VR- 6050 receiver. Every time I turn it on it will play at very low volume, but when it is turned up it automatically shuts off. I tested it with no speakers hooked up (headphones) and it worked fine. Is this a problem with my speaker hook ups or what?? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Make sure none of the speaker wires in back of the receiver are touching each other. Even if one strand of wire touches the other it can trip the overload protection and shut the receiver off. Check it out and let us know if it solves your problem.

cam

cam

Audioholic
fresh said:
I have a Kenwood VR- 6050 receiver. Every time I turn it on it will play at very low volume, but when it is turned up it automatically shuts off. I tested it with no speakers hooked up (headphones) and it worked fine. Is this a problem with my speaker hook ups or what?? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Kenwoods are not known for beefy power supplys. If your speakers are 6 or 4 ohms your receiver is going to shut down at high volumes to protect itself. Even if your speakers are 8 ohms they may dip at certain frequencies which may also shut your receiver down if played at a high volume for long enough. Sometimes it will only take one or two speakers that are not rated at 8 ohms to shut down. One way to relieve the power supply in your receiver is to set all speakers to small and use your receivers crossover at 80, 90, or 100hz. if it still shuts down then there may be something wrong internally. If this is the case you will just have to find out how loud your receiver will go before it shuts down and just not listen that loud anymore.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
fresh said:
Thanks
As was mentioned above, plus, is this the first time this is happening? Same speakers, new speakers? Did you change something recently?

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Check your speakers and specially your tweeters,usually happens when they are blown.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
This is similar to what I've encountered in the past with seamingly uninspired matching of amps with speakers. Either your amp has inadequate power to drive low impedances at high volume, or your speakers are presenting difficult impedances loads (down to 1 ohm) that the amp cannot handle at even moderate volumes. Either way, I would upgrade the amp to a more powerful one that can handle difficult loads, assuming you like the sound quality of your speakers. Another possibility, however remote, is the relay protection circuitry may not be calibrated so that it shuts off at certain current levels. I've once tried bypassing a misbehaving speaker relay circuit and the amp performed well into high volumes. But I think this is rare.

I would discount the possibility of shorted speaker cables as you indicated you can listen to the amp at low volumes. A short at the speaker terminal will simply engage the protection at startup so you can't operate the amp at ANY volume.

W

warzaz

Audiophyte
This is similar to what I've encountered in the past with seamingly uninspired matching of amps with speakers. Either your amp has inadequate power to drive low impedances at high volume, or your speakers are presenting difficult impedances loads (down to 1 ohm) that the amp cannot handle at even moderate volumes. Either way, I would upgrade the amp to a more powerful one that can handle difficult loads, assuming you like the sound quality of your speakers. Another possibility, however remote, is the relay protection circuitry may not be calibrated so that it shuts off at certain current levels. I've once tried bypassing a misbehaving speaker relay circuit and the amp performed well into high volumes. But I think this is rare.

I would discount the possibility of shorted speaker cables as you indicated you can listen to the amp at low volumes. A short at the speaker terminal will simply engage the protection at startup so you can't operate the amp at ANY volume.
Hi, can you help me with my JBL receiver? It shuts off at higher volumes... I posted a thread but so far people don't think it's worth it. Michael

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi, can you help me with my JBL receiver? It shuts off at higher volumes... I posted a thread but so far people don't think it's worth it. Michael
The post in your thread by TLSguy and the one
I added sums it up. Highly unlikely anyone will give you different advice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis