Receiver replacement?

Earfull

Earfull

Junior Audioholic
The equipment in the dedicated home theater room I created about 15 years ago has become dated, and sadly, it just doesn't get used anymore. I have the following:

Panasonic AE900 projector (720p) ceiling mounted, with conduit to receiver area.

Denon AVR 3805 receiver

Panasonic BD55 Blu-ray DVD player

~22 year old Energy Connoisseur Series C-8 front tower speakers; Energy ES-12 sub; EC-100 center channel; in-wall side & rear speakers.

Presently I can only watch DVDs, and in order to hook up an Apple Box for Netflix, etc, I’m wondering if I can get away with just replacing the receiver. If I also have to replace the PJ, that would be a deal breaker, as the cost would just be too high, as we have a 42” plasma upstairs with an Apple box.

So my question is: If all I need to do is replace the receiver, what would be the best bang-for-the-buck option for my system without being under powered? I guess I should aim for a receiver with similar heft, but want to spend as little as possible, as long as it has the correct outlets/ports to bring me up to date. New or used.

Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
To get better connectivity for sources like bluray or streaming, HDMI inputs and wifi access would definitely help out on the avr. I'd look at current Denons starting with the 3600/3700 series.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Nothing wrong with a 720p projector. I still use mine and always delighted by the big picture and quality of the the budget Acer I have. Not gonna be replaced anytime soon. Lovethehd is right look at Denons. I love mine.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think all the Denon, Yamaha, Marantz AVRs in the $1200 price class will do just fine unless you play extremely high volume - then you will probably need an external amp and some fans to place atop the AVR.

Earfull

Earfull

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the replies. I forgot to ask, is there such a thing as some sort of "adapter" device that I could simply plug into my existing 3805 which would give me an HDMI port for an Apple Box? Perhaps plugging into one of the Optical Outs?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the replies. I forgot to ask, is there such a thing as some sort of "adapter" device that I could simply plug into my existing 3805 which would give me an HDMI port for an Apple Box? Perhaps plugging into one of the Optical Outs?
I've seen audio extractors that can provide an optical audio output and some providing even some composite video out as well (don't think I've seen component video, tho) but never shopped for one.

Earfull

Earfull

Junior Audioholic
^^^ Yes, talking with a friend who knows more about this, it seems that a 7.1 4K HDMI audio extractor is all I will need. No need for a whole new receiver!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis