F

fernalfer

Audiophyte
I have the Yamaha RV-X 1700 old receiver. HDMI 1.2. Now it does not decode the new True HD and Master HD audio Soundtracks. Also i run Crown Amps for my fronts and center which need certain amount of amps from receiver from the RCA outputs. 2 volts i believe mine only outputs 1 volt. I love my receiver and it sounds great. But my question is would i benefit from a newer receiver with the up to date HDMI standards and just more up to date in general?

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
It is pretty hard to define the term benefit. If there is something wrong with your system that a new receiver will correct then obviously there is a benefit. You need to determine the problem before you look for a solution. Most people who ask questions like this think a new receiver will provide sound quality benefits. Basically that is probably not in the cards.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Agree with fmw, have you tried to troubleshoot? One easy step is to reset the RX-V1700's microprocessor, there is a good chance that may fix your decoding issue. Follow the steps in the link below:

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/audio-visual/hifi-components/stereo-receivers/rx-v1700_black__u/1330/7956

You are right about not using it with the Crown amp that requires 2V. The newer Yamaha AVRs should have no trouble providing more than 2V of unclipped voltage but their older models seemed to be hit and miss. Their spec of 1 or 1.2V are stated under certain conditions that we don't know about but could likely meant to be for continuous and at a specific load impedance. In the real word application, you won't be using any more than a few watts on continuous basis, and the input impedance of power amps are very high, typically >10,000 ohms.

Last edited:
F

fernalfer

Audiophyte
I mean it sounds great. I guess it is just the comfort of knowing if it is playing the new audio formats or not. I did hook up the crowns to the Yamaha and it definetly plays louder. I have no buzz and can go louder then my ears can handle with great clarity. So i am assuming that the 1 volt it says my receiver puts out does not make a difference. I guess i can hold off for a bit. Not really sure how much better those HD codecs sound anyways.

Does Master HD audio just not play as loud as regular dolby digital. When i set my BD player to PCM out because it says it does decode the HD codec in the player. And play HD master audio it seems quieter then DD. I have to turn volume up alot more. Is this the norm?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I mean it sounds great. I guess it is just the comfort of knowing if it is playing the new audio formats or not. I did hook up the crowns to the Yamaha and it definetly plays louder. I have no buzz and can go louder then my ears can handle with great clarity. So i am assuming that the 1 volt it says my receiver puts out does not make a difference. I guess i can hold off for a bit. Not really sure how much better those HD codecs sound anyways.

Does Master HD audio just not play as loud as regular dolby digital. When i set my BD player to PCM out because it says it does decode the HD codec in the player. And play HD master audio it seems quieter then DD. I have to turn volume up alot more. Is this the norm?
Did you do the factory reset? That really should be the first step.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Did you do the factory reset? That really should be the first step.
I think you misunderstood. The RX-V1700 is profile 1.2. It does not have Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD processing at all.

@fernalfer

You may be able to enjoy the benefits of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio without upgrading your receiver. Depending on what Blu-ray player you have it may decode them internally and convert it to multichannel lossless PCM that your receiver can process and bass management can still be applied. The benefit of the DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD formats is increased resolution, more channels (in your case up to 7.1 discrete) and more dynamic range.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think you misunderstood. The RX-V1700 is profile 1.2. It does not have Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD processing at all.
Oh my goodness, his sentence opened with the word "Now" so I automatically, and incorrectly assumed he meant it used to, but not now. It was early in the morning when I first responded.

Thanks!

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja

I recently replaced a 10 year old receiver with a 2015 model. I don't perceive the slightest difference in sound. If there is an audible difference between the old DTS and the latest one I haven't discovered it. Perhaps I would if I did a side by side comparison. Don't get hung up on the myriad things the industry introduces every year. Most of them (almost all of them) are there to get you to worry about missing some gadget you think you need in order to sell more gear. If you system satisfies, knock on wood and enjoy it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis