M

Merkules2001

Audioholic
Can a Yamaha rx 1800 power a pair of polk rti 8 and a pair of klipsch rp160 sufficiently? My sub is active. If not can I add another amp to push in that type setup?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Are you using the RP160s as surround speakers? You shouldn't have any issues with power with that receiver. If things are sounding good with no distortion at the volume you like than you're good to go.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@3db is your guy on old Yamaha avrs :) Why would you be concerned about powering two pairs? In 2.0 format or surround? Simultaneously? An active sub of course would have little to do with it other than your ability to integrate it well. Why/how you use the two pairs of speakers is key here....

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not sure but I believe bass management only applies for the A channel mains, not B channel mains. I have to check this. My thinking is once you load both A & B channels, then bass management is off.

The RX-V1800 has a robust power supply and amp stage and should be able to drive both pairs full range. However, it depends on how big the room(s) are and how loud you want to drive them. Its still an AVR and it has limits. Before I moved I ran a 6.1 PSB Image series speaker setup full range while exercising and the AVR was able to crank the volume without clipping or getting harsh and strident.

I'll get back to you guys about the 1st paragraph.

Update...

There is no channel A/B for the mains. There are connections for just mains. However, there is a zone2/zone3 capability with zone2 using the "presence zone2/zone3 speaker terminals in the back. I will still need to check if zone2 will operate with bass management setting of the main zone.

Update....
On page 114 of the manual, it states that inputs are shared across all 3 zones and you cannot use the same input across all 3 zones simulataeously. As eg, if the main zone is using DVD input, its unavailable for zone2/zone3 at the same time.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seems generally main zone gets different DAC and the REQ/bass management, zones get lesser DAC and no REQ/Bass management. Not unusual to have limited content available in all zones simultaneously, too, particularly digital sources, altho there can be work-arounds using both analog and digital connections from a source.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis